Getting a driving license in the State of Andhra Pradesh, which happens to have the second longest coastline in India, is an extremely straightforward and facile procedure for aspiring drivers aged 16 or above.
There are 3 main categories for driving licenses and all of them require a valid Learner’s License before you can apply for a permanent Driver’s License.
The State of Andhra Pradesh (AP) is no exception to this rule and people who intend to use a vehicle within the state will be required to obtain the license from the competent authorities before they are permitted to use a vehicle.
Driving License is Must in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
In Andhra Pradesh (AP) Driving Licence is a Document officially authorize the holder to drive motor vehicles such as a motorcycle, car, truck, or bus on a public road across the country.
Regardless of whether you are looking forward to using a motorized vehicle of any type, it is essential for you to apply for and hold a valid driving licence(But understand the different types of driving licences). The licence will be issued by the Regional Transport Authority [RTA] Or The Regional Transport Office [RTO], here Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) TA(State Transport Authority), within the state where the individual intends to use a vehicle for commuting regularly or to use the vehicle for purposes of business or pleasure.
Eligibility For Driving Licence in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
Are you Eligible to obtain Driving licence in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )? If you are considering the use of a vehicle for commuting to work or even for pursuing your studies, you should primarily make an effort to understand whether you are eligible to obtain a Driving License or not.Tests to determine your levels of expertise of driving a vehicle and your understanding about the rules and regulations will also be conducted. You are required to satisfy every single criterion, which has been specified without which you will not be eligible for the License.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Driving Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by STA, State Transport Authority and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Driving License, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the STA, State Transport Authority.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Driving Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
Types of Vehicle Entitled for a Driving Licence in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or lower than 50 cc.
- Motorcycles which have gears along with an engine capacity in excess of 50 cc or more, Light Motor Vehicles [LMV’s] which also includes cars.
- Motorcycles of all types, including those with gears.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of any type but without gears and these can include scooters and mopeds.
- Light motor vehicles for personal use.
- Light motor vehicles for commercial purposes.
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle. These vehicles are provided by a document which is identified as the All India Driving Permit and the document is issued for trucks, buses, cars and is also classified as an open license.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle.
- Individuals who are holding a heavy vehicle driving license are also qualified to apply for a licence to drive heavy trailers.
Fee For Driving License in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
For your reference adding Fee details apart from Smart Card Driving Licence
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Permit in Form 4A||500|
|Renewal of DL in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|Driving test for each category of vehicle||50|
|Conductor Licence fees||Half of DL fees|
|Endorsement of new class of vehicle in Smart Card||200|
|Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For second copy of Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For appeal against orders of the Licensing Authority||100|
|Trade certificate (Motorcycle)||50|
|Trade certificate (Invalid carriage)||50|
|Renewal of trade certificate (motorcycle / invalid carriage)||50 each|
Learners Driving License in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
It is essential for every applicant in Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) to make an application for a Learner’s Driving license during the initial stages before they are allotted with a permanent driving licence.
This is valid for a period of six months and is provided to the applicant solely for learning to drive the vehicle specified and to educate themselves about the rules to follow down the road while driving.
Documents Required for Learners Licence
Applicants for a driving license in Andhra Pradesh (AP) are required to submit the following documents when they consider making an application for learner’s or a permanent driving license. This is a basic necessity, and the RTO usually does not make any exceptions to this rule. The documents needed are as follows:
- Local Address Proof : Rental Agreement should work. Also keep you have telephone bill.
- Permanent Address Proof: Aadhar Card, Passport, Voter ID, Ration Card.
- Personal Identification: Birth Certificate, PAN Card, Passport, SSLC Certificate
- Age Proof : Birth Certificate, 10th Class Mark Sheet
- Qualification Proof: Your Latest Educational Certificate like 10th, Plus Two, Degree Etc.
- Passport Sized Photo – 4 Nos
- Take application print, fill the required details and stick your photo as well.
On numerous occasions, officials based in the Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) RTO have requested additional documents to be provided after looking at the profile of the applicant. It is therefore advised that applicants should confirm with the staff from the office for proceeding to submit the documents for the type of licence they desire.
Online Application for Learners Driving License ( LL )
- Navigate to Official website of Andhra Pradesh (AP) RTO at https://www.aptransport.in/tgcfstonline/
- Select New Learners Licence and Click on Continue.
- Fill Personal Particulars of the Learners Driving Licence Applicant.
- Fill Address Details. Please note you should have the Address Proof Documents in Andhra Pradesh (AP) as listed Below.
- Select the Class of Vehicles you wish to apply in Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) for Learners Driving License.
- Select the desired RTO, usually the Zone where you reside and check date availability and chose the preferred date for Learners test exam.
Fee for Learners Licence in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
Fee for One Class of Learners License is Rs.150/- INR. For additional classes/category of License, multiples of original fee has to be paid.
Validity of Learners License
A learner’s driving Licence has a validity period of six months, but the candidate can apply for a permanent driving Licence after just 30 days of obtaining the learner’s driving Licence.
Applied for Learners Driving Licence ? What’s Next ?
Once You are confident to appear for Learners Driving Licence Test, You can head to RTO office to appear for the Licence Test Exam. Here is what you have to do.
- Visit RTO (best to reach by 9 to 10am) due to crowd and avoid long queue.
- Take challan from ground floor challan counter
- Go to LL inspector room where they check your documents and file.
- After that we have to go camera room where they take photo, eye scan and finger print
- Then to go data entry room
- Once we go through all these procedure then time for road sign test. we can choose computer test or oral test.
As of November 2016 you can apply for a driving license by carrying a digitalized copy of all documentation on your phone or tablet through an official app, which is provided by the Andhra Pradesh Transport Department.
There are two types of tests, which all aspiring drivers must take in order to receive a certified license from the government.
Theory tests are designed to inform your examiner that you’re in perfect command of the traffic laws, customs, regulations and road signs, even if you still haven’t practiced the driving itself.
The practical test routine is carried out in one of the four available driving test tracks in Andhra Pradesh in the presence of an inspector from the Transport Department, who will serve as your examiner. The practical tests will aim at proving that you can operate on a motor vehicle and that you have excellent knowledge of all traffic laws.
Computer test has 15 multiple choice questions of traffic rules and signs and you will be provided with 15 min to answer them. You will get to know the score immediately after the test. Once test is finished, RTO inspector will guide you to take eye test.
Oral test is bit easy compared to Computer Test as the officer asks you to explain hand signals, street signs, parking points etc.
Chances of getting failed in learners test is Null. If in case if you fail in Learners test, don’t get disappointed. Re-test is allowed and you may reappear after preparing again.
Application Form for Driving License
Driving Licence Application form must be filled with utter care to ensure there are no errors and no field should be left unattended while applying for Driving License (DL) in Andhra Pradesh ( AP ). If You are planning to apply for converting existing driving license to Smart Card Licence, this form can be used.
- When you are applying for a Driving License, you will be required to complete form 4 regardless of whether your application is pertaining to a single category of vehicle or two categories.
- If you are looking forward to adding another class of vehicles within the Smart Card Driving Licence, you will be needed to complete form 8.
- If your application is for an International Driving Permit, none of the above will be appropriate for your requirements because you will need to complete form 1 A and 4A. (Please note IDP is not issued as Smart Card till the date)
- If you have lost or misplaced your Smart Card Driver’s License ( DL) and need to apply for a duplicate driving Licence you will need to complete the form LLD.
- If for any reason, you are required to renew your Smart Card Driving Licence, the form that needs to be completed is 9, 1 and 1A.
|Form – 1||Application cum Declaration as to the Physical Fitness.|
|Form – 1A||Medical Certificate|
|Form – 2||Application for the Grant or Renewal of Learner’s License|
|Form – 4||Application for License to Drive a Motor Vehicle|
|Form – 4A||Form of Application for Issue of International Driving License|
|Form – 8||Application for the Addition of a New Class of Vehicle To a Driving License|
|Form – 9||Application for the Renewal of Driving License|
|Form – L.T.V.A.||Application for Authorization to Drive a Transport Vehicle|
|Form – L.L.D||Intimation of Loss or Destruction of Driving License and Application for Duplicate|
|Form – LTV||Intimation of Grant of an Authorization to Drive a Transport Vehicle|
|Form – AVT||Authorization to be Carried by a Driver of a Transport Vehicle|
Procedure to Apply Driving Licence Online
Step 1: Apply in Andhra Pradesh (AP) STA Portal here.
Step 2: Fill in Particulars as you did while applying for learners licence, once done, select the Documents list.
Step 3: Since we are applying for Permanent DL, Ensure to select LL first, Enter Learners Licence number, RTO office code ( note it down from your learners licence) and date of issue.
Step 4: Select and add remaining documents details for address proof, Identity proof Etc.
Step 5: Answer couple of questions in the Same tab.
Step 6: Submit Application, get the form and acknowledgement slip printed.
Step 7: Document Checklist – Please note, all Documents should be Original as there would be a physical verification.
- Online Acknowledgement Slip
- Online Application Form
- Learners Licence
- Identity Documents
- Local and Permanent Address proof
- 3-4 Passport Sized Photograph
- RC Book of your vehicle.
- Insurance Copy
- PUC certificate
- ‘L’ Board for the vehicle
- Challan of Rs.300 (I will talk about it in Few minutes)
L Board for the vehicle is mandatory, as we are still holding the Learners Licence. You are not supposed to drive in Public roads without ‘L’ board until you get the driving licence.
The Day of Driving Licence Road Test at Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
Excited..! Hell Yeah ? Read Further, We are closing the Target.
This is the Crucial Phase of Driving License Test in Andhra Pradesh ( AP ). Today, In the Public Roads, You will have to show the Inspector that You are capable of Driving a Vehicle Either Bike, Car or Whatever Vehicle You wish to Earn Driving Licence for.
Be Prepared very well with Hand Signals while Starting, allowing other vehicles to pass us while driving(Overtaking in India :D), while Stopping vehicle (Hand Signal + Indicator) etc.
- On the Day of Road Test, Ensure to Reach the RTO Office atleast by 9:00 am where you applied for Driving Licence. The Road Test may happen at any time before 3 pm.
- Pay Rs.300 and get a Challan for the Licence and Another one of Rs. 100 INR for DL Test.
- Go and meet the File Inspector to verify all documents are in place as expected.
- Once done, Register your Finger Prints and Photographs.
- Ask their guidance to find the officer/clerk who will enter your data in the system.
- Move on to the Inspector Room who will again check for all Documents required for the Driving License and Road Test.
- Now its time to sit back and relax for sometime. The RTO Officer may ask you to wait on the test spot infront of the office.
- Test may start at any time after 11:30am, please be calm until your turn comes up.
- For two wheelers, usually they ask you to make a ‘U’ turn on the street, ensure you are scoring it with relevant hand signals.
- There is a possibility that, RTO officer may ask to make a circle, ensure to park the vehicle always on the left hand side before and after the test.
Once you are completed successfully, You may Receive the Licence in Smart Card form with in 3-4 weeks.
RTO Offices in Andhra Pradesh AP
|RTO Locations||RTO Code|
|East Godavari district||AP05|
|Andhra Pradesh Police||AP18|
|West Godavari district||AP37|
Addition of New Class of Vehicle to a DL
A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle ( Bike ) may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle (Car etc.) at any time. Documents Required are
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Valid Learners’ Licence for the category.
- Application in Form 8.
- Form 1(Self declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Driving License Number Search Online
To Search Any Andhra Pradesh (AP) Driving License using licence number , you may visit https://aptransport.in/TGCFSTONLINE/Reports/OnlineLicenceSearch.aspx. Andhra Pradesh (AP) State Transport Authority (STA) closely tied up with Vahan.nic.in, an initiative by Central Govt of India, Let you search Driving Licence Details.
Enter License Number details in the Prescribed format to get Driving Licence Data.
Commercial Driving License in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
Commercial Driving License An official document which is provided by the transport department within Andhra Pradesh (AP) to its citizens is a Commercial Driving licence which certifies that the holder is competent to operate a passenger vehicle in public areas and on the highways.
Procedure for Commercial Driving Licence
The State Transport Authority within Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) has specified certain guidelines which people will be required to follow those who apply for Commercial Driving Licence.
The guidelines specified are mentioned below:
- It is mandatory for every candidate to apply for a learner’s driving Licence initially regardless of whether the document issued will be used to operate commercial or private vehicles within India.
- The Commercial Driving License applicant must be over the age of 18 and in some states, the age factor has been relaxed until 22. The applicant must have received primary education and must have at least completed their eighth grade.
- They will be required to pass a written test before the learner’s driving Licence is issued. The applicant will be in a position to apply for a Commercial Driving License after an appropriate period as specified by The Regional Transport Office.
- The applicants must also pass the practical tests which will be conducted when they eventually are ready to apply for the commercial driving Licence.
Rather than obtaining a commercial driving Licence from unscrupulous individuals people are advised to follow the specifications mentioned by The Transport Authority of India because they are the sole authorities who can specify whether the candidate who has obtained a Commercial Driving Licence [CDL] from Kerala or any other Regional Transport Office is competent to drive on the roads.
Taxi Driving Licence in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
While the rules applicable for obtaining a taxi driver license are not distinctive some differences will become notable when people decide to apply for the license. Let us look at various factors which people must consider before applying for a taxi driver license.
Procedure for Taxi Driving License
- Perhaps the most prominent among the requirements will be to have adequate knowledge of the city in which the taxi will be operated.The subject of holding a driving license cannot be overlooked either.
- Firstly, if the individual desiring to make an application is required to go through the process and obtaining a learning license which will allow him the opportunity to learn to drive a vehicle.
- The individual must become fully adept at handling the vehicle while also giving equal importance to the rules and relations which need to be followed.
- Being fully versant with the city in which the taxi will be operated will also prove helpful.
People applying for a taxi driver license must understand that having a clean record without any misdemeanors against their name is an essential part because of a number of incidents, which have taken place throughout the country.
The Cost of A Taxi Driver License
The cost of every document issued by The Transport Authority Of India is different and that of a taxi driver, license is no exception to this rule.
Drivers operating a taxi fall within the category of commercial vehicles and the transport department have specified that the fee applicable for the license will be Rs.1560. This includes any service charges, which are also relevant.
Taxi Driving License Badge
- Drivers of commercial vehicles within India are required also to have a badge apart from the driving license.
- Taxis in India are designated within the category of commercial vehicles because they are ferrying around passengers for commercial reasons and therefore, people applying for a taxi driver license will also need to apply for the badge as specified by the transport department.
- The badge does not have a validly of 20 years like the license and will need to be renewed every three years by the holder.
International Driving License Permit (IDP) in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
The International Driving Licence Permit [IDP] will only be issued to an Indian resident who also holds a valid driving license.This is the primary criteria which need to be followed when candidates are looking forward to applying for the International drivers Licence IDP.
Validity of the International Driving Licence Permit (IDP) will be for one year or till the validity of the driving license which ever occurs first.
Procedure to Apply IDP
- Applicaiton Form CMV 4-A available in the office/download from website.
- IDP Fee of Rs. 500/- (to be payable at Cash Counter).
- Original Valid Driving Licence + Passport + Visa + Air Ticket ( with one set xerox copies)
- Medical Certificate in form CMV 1 & CMV 1A shall be enclosed along with the application.
- Three Recent passport size photographs.
- Candidate should be physically present in person.
- Applicant shall appear for re-test if the Driving Licence issued is within three months.
- The address in the Driving licence should fall under the jurisdiction of the Regional Transport office to where the application for IDP is being made.
Holders of an IDP must understand that they have been provided with the document after being considered as suitable drivers in line with the local regulations which have been specified.However, they are advised not to believe that an International drivers Licence Permit (IDP) will permit them to drive in countries where the traffic rules could be entirely different from the ones applicable in India.
They will certainly not have any difficulties in driving vehicles within the neighborhood and in countries like Nepal, Bangladesh, and Pakistan.
Fee for IDP
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Licence Permit in Form 4A||500|
Duplicate Driving Licence in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
It is quite common for people to be apprehensive about driving on the roads when they are not in possession of their driving Licence, especially after they have made an application for a duplicate Licence to be issued. People fear that they could be stopped by the traffic police on the roads and be penalized for driving without the Licence which was issued to them.
You can apply for a duplicate driving Licence via offline or traditional method using the lld form for duplicate license, else can apply online. Please note, online application for duplicate driving licence are available with very few RTOs in Indian states, but hoping it to get propagated to all RTOs soon, for the convenience of a common man.
Fee for Duplicate Driving Licence is nearly Rs.235/- INR.
Apply Offline for Duplicate License in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
Majority of the RTOs operating in many states are in process of implementing system to enable online applications for duplicate driving license, till the time it is implemented we will have to apply for duplicate licence using lld application form with relevant documents.(If any).
- You may reach out to one of the nearby driving schools, who helps you to understand process for applying duplicate licence – They are registered agents with RTO, who can submit application in lieu of you.
- Finding a 3rd party agent is the easiest method. They do even help in filling the forms, so that you just have to sign it.
- Directly head to RTO office, talk to an officer sitting in the help desk/Info section of the office, who prepares a checklist needed for duplicate driving license.
- Ensure all particulars are filled in the lld form for duplicate driving license, attach necessary documents as prescribed by the RTO personnel.
- While paying the fee, RTA officer verifies all documents are in place as expected, Once verified you are good to leave the office.
- You will be provided with an acknowledgement slip, which you have to keep safe. Would be helpful to show while to a traffic police till the time you receive duplicate driving licence.
- You may receive duplicate driving license in not more than 2-3 weeks to the mentioned delivery address.
Apply Online for Duplicate Licence in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
As mentioned earlier, only few RTOs in Indian states offer facility to apply online for duplicate driving license, like Andhra Pradesh (AP), Maharashtra etc, I will update the list as separate article. Still, let’s go through the process.
- You will have to fill Intimation of loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence online with no mistakes, to ensure the integrity of the application.
- Once the application is submitted, ensure to upload necessary documents online as a measure of how genuine and valid is the applicant.
- Once the application is filled, get a hard copy of the filled online form for duplicate license, attach requested documents as proof and passport site photograph without fail.
- Head to RTO office and submit the application with prescribed fee depending on smartcard/Laminated copy.
- You may receive duplicate driving license in not more than 2-3 weeks to the mentioned delivery address.
Driving License Renewal in Andhra Pradesh ( AP )
Every document issued by the governing authorities throughout the country has a certain validity, and you will need to apply to the document which has expired. A driving license in Andhra Pradesh (AP) is no exception to this rule and when it has passed its validity, you will be required to make an application with The Transport Authority of India for the renewal of the driving license.
The renewal of a driving license in Andhra Pradesh (AP) falls under rule 18  of The Transport Authority Of India and the forms that need to be completed are 9, 1 and 1 A.The licensee will have to provide his or her personal details along with their present and permanent address with the application along with some other details, which have been mentioned below.
Documents For Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) Licence Renewing
Details to be provided along with the form for renewal:
- The number of the driving license.
- The date of issue.
- The licensing authority which issued the license during the last instance.
- The licensing authority that renewed the license earlier.
- The class of the vehicle which the license holder is authorized to drive.
- The date of expiry of the driving license.
- Whether the vehicle being used is a transport vehicle.
- Whether the vehicle being used is other than a transport vehicle.
For Commercial License Renewal:
- The above documents as required in Private License
- Medical Certificate in form No.1A (In case of Commercial category).
- Driver refreshing Training certificate in case of HMV.
- In case of Private licence the record is not verified if the particulars seem to be clear on the licence. However for commercial licence the particulars are verified from the issuing authority. The renewal of licence in case of private licence is done on the same day but for commercial licence the renewal is made after verification of the particulars and send by P & T department through speed post.
Address Change in Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) Driving Licence
Advice is provided to the licensee to appear in person before the licensing authority if he or she for any reason notice’s errors in the licence or needs to have their name changed.Please note, you are not allowed to make any changes if in case Driving License is suspended or Disqualified.
These documents should include the licence which was issued earlier and any legal notifications, which can prove the change to the name and address of the individual.
Documents for Address Change Request in Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) Driving License
- Original Driving License needs to be Submitted
- Residential Proof Document for changing address in the driving Licence. Rental agreement, utility bill with a postpaid mobile bill should work. It would be better to have any of Voter ID, Aadhar, Bank Statement, Passport, Notary Authorised Letter.
- Identity proof Documents
How do I Submit Address Change Request in Andhra Pradesh ( AP ) DL ?
Application for Address Change Request must be submitted to the Regional RTO from which Licence was issued. Ensure to Include a Letter for Changing of Address in license along with the above Said Documents. You might be Charged Approx Rs. 273/- INR to get it done along with a Service Charge of Rs.150/- INR for Goods vehicle and Rs.75/- for Transport Vehicle.