When considering an application for getting a driving licence in Delhi, which is the capital within the union of India and has also been designated as a union territory you cannot expect to be treated differently and will be required to follow the procedures as mentioned by the Transport Department of India.
The procedure for getting a driving license in Delhi is no different than in other parts throughout the country and therefore, if you are aware of the rules which are applicable you will not encounter any difficulties when trying to get the highly desired diving permit which will allow you to move on the road to Delhi.
Should You Have Driving License in Delhi ?
As mentioned earlier, Delhi has been classified as a union territory within the country. It is also the capital of India where a number of dignitaries from around the globe are visiting regularly. New Delhi unfortunately is not being regulated by the central government.
The classification of the city as a union territory has made it necessary for the central government also to have a local elected set of representatives who are responsible for the overall administration at the state.
While the local government has a say within the day-to-day activities, they do not have any control over the police and the traffic department which falls within the purview of the central government.
The city also provides access to a number of people from the neighboring UP from where people are traveling by road for purposes of business and employment.
During the past few years, a significant increase has been witnessed in the number of accidents, which are being reported. It goes without saying that most of the miscreants involved in the accidents are the ones who do not have a driving license. These incidents have given the central government an opportunity to come down heavily on the miscreants with the sole intention of reducing the accidents which are being reported.
Types of Vehicle Entitled for a Driving Licence
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or lower than 50 cc.
- Motorcycles which have gears along with an engine capacity in excess of 50 cc or more, Light Motor Vehicles [LMV’s] which also includes cars.
- Motorcycles of all types, including those with gears.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of any type but without gears and these can include scooters and mopeds.
- Light motor vehicles for personal use.
- Light motor vehicles for commercial purposes.
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle. These vehicles are provided by a document which is identified as the All India Driving Permit and the document is issued for trucks, buses, cars and is also classified as an open license.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle.
- Individuals who are holding a heavy vehicle driving license are also qualified to apply for a licence to drive heavy trailers.
Eligibility For Driving License in Delhi
Are you Eligible to obtain Driving licence in Delhi ? If you are considering the use of a vehicle for commuting to work or even for pursuing your studies, you should primarily make an effort to understand whether you are eligible to obtain a Driving License or not.Tests to determine your levels of expertise of driving a vehicle and your understanding about the rules and regulations will also be conducted. You are required to satisfy every single criterion, which has been specified without which you will not be eligible for the License.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Driving Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by Delhi MVD, and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Driving License, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the Delhi MVD, Motor Vehicles Department.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Driving Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
How to Obtain A Driving License In Delhi
Obtaining a driving licence from Delhi is no different from getting involved in a similar activity in any other part of India. The following is the types of licenses, which are provided by the government to eligible candidates who could be residing within the state of Delhi.
- Learners license.
- Permanent driving license.
- License for light motor vehicles.
- License for medium goods vehicles.
- Medium passenger vehicles.
- Heavy goods vehicle.
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle.
- Non-transport vehicles.
People who are looking forward to applying for a driving license to have an opportunity to select the kind of driving license they wish to obtain. However, it is essential for them always to make an application for a learner’s license which will give them an opportunity to learn how to drive the kind of vehicle they have chosen for themselves.
The learner’s license has a validity period of six months but people can apply for the permanent license after, and if they have completed the training required and are prepared to go to the practical test as stipulated by the Transport Department Of New Delhi after just 30 days.
Fee For Driving License in Delhi
For your reference adding fee details apart from Smart Card Driving Licence
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Permit in Form 4A||500|
|Renewal of DL in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|Driving test for each category of vehicle||50|
|Conductor Licence fees||Half of DL fees|
|Endorsement of new class of vehicle in Smart Card||200|
|Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For second copy of Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For appeal against orders of the Licensing Authority||100|
|Trade certificate (Motorcycle)||50|
|Trade certificate (Invalid carriage)||50|
|Renewal of trade certificate (motorcycle / invalid carriage)||50 each|
Learners Driving Licence in Delhi
The application for a learner’s license must be submitted on form 4 as specified by the Local Transport Zonal Office In Delhi and must be accompanied by the following papers.
If you are an individual over the age of 18 you will not come across any difficulties in making an application for a Learners driving Licence regardless of the type of vehicle you intend to use by yourselves.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Learners Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by the Transport Authority of India, and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Learners Licence, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the Transport Authority of India.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Learners Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
Application Forms for Learners Licence
When you are applying for a learners driving Licence for a single category of vehicle or two categories, you will need to complete Form 1, 2 and 3.
- Form 1 for Application-cum-Declaration as to Physical Fitness – Download
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate) – Download
- Form 2 Form of Applicant for the Grant of Learner’s Licence – Download
Alternatively you can book appointment and pay fee Online on website
Online Application for Learners Driving License in Delhi
Delhi Govt and RTO tied up to implement Online Application form for Learners Licence.
Candidates will also be required to undergo an aptitude test to provide evidence of their knowledge about the theory of driving and road signs. They will have an opportunity to appear at the test by providing information on the date which is convenient for them on the application form for the learners driving license.
The aptitude test should not be considered as a concern because the transport department is just trying to understand whether the candidate has any knowledge about driving or the rules that are applicable on the roads. If the candidate manages to clear the test, they will be issued to learners driving license the same day.
To submit Online Application for Learners Licence Click Here
Applied for Learners Driving Licence ? What’s Next ?
Once You are confident to appear for Learners Driving Licence Test, You can head to RTO office to appear for the Licence Test Exam. Here is what you have to do.
- Visit RTO (best to reach by 9 to 10am) due to crowd and avoid long queue.
- Take challan from ground floor challan counter
- Go to LL inspector room where they check your documents and file.
- After that we have to go camera room where they take photo, eye scan and finger print.
- Then to go data entry room.
- Once we go through all these procedure then time for road sign test. we can choose computer test or oral test.
Computer test has 15 multiple choice questions of traffic rules and signs and you will be provided with 15 min to answer them. You will get to know the score immediately after the test. Once test is finished, RTO inspector will guide you to take eye test.
Oral test is bit easy compared to Computer Test as the officer asks you to explain hand signals, street signs, parking points etc.
Chances of getting failed in learners test is Null. If in case if you fail in Learners test, don’t get disappointed. Re-test is allowed and you may reappear after preparing again.
Permanent Driving Licence Online Process in Delhi
As mentioned earlier, the learner’s Driving license will be valid for six months while the applicant will have an opportunity to appear for a permanent license driving test after just 30 days of receiving the provisional document.
When candidates decide to apply for a permanent driving licence, they will have to go through the entire procedure of collecting various documents and submitting them to the zonal office after which they will be provided with a date for the test.
The designated officer from the zonal office will be looking forward to understanding whether the candidate has gained significant expertise over the type of vehicle he or she is looking forward to driving.
A practical test will also be held by the officer in command before the candidate is issued the permanent driving license if he or she has cleared the test. Candidates who do not manage to clear the test will be eligible to appear again for the same as the officers concerned will not hesitate to offer them multiple opportunities until they are successful. The documents needed when applying for a permanent driving license is as follows:
- A valid learners license which would have been issued for the candidate to learn driving along the roads and also to educate himself or herself about the rules which are applicable.
- The fees for the permanent license as specified.
- Proof of citizenship and nationality in the form of attested copies.
- Latest passport size photograph which is not more than six months old.
- A driving certificate wherever applicable and issued by a driving training school on form number 5 & 14.
- If you need any authorizations of categories on the license, you must also submit your original driving license.
Step 1: Apply Online in Delhi Transport Authority Portal here.
Step 2: Fill in Particulars as you did while applying for learners licence, once done, select the Documents list.
Step 3: Since we are applying for Permanent DL, Ensure to select LL first, Enter Learners Licence number, RTO office code ( note it down from your learners licence) and date of issue.
Step 4: Select and add remaining documents details for address proof, Identity proof Etc.
Step 5: Answer couple of questions in the Same tab.
Step 6: Submit Application, get the form and acknowledgement slip printed.
Step 7: Document Checklist – Please note, all Documents should be Original as there would be a physical verification.
- Online Acknowledgement Slip
- Online Application Form
- Learners Licence
- Identity Documents
- Local and Permanent Address proof
- 3-4 Passport Sized Photograph
- RC Book of your vehicle.
- Insurance Copy
- PUC certificate
- ‘L’ Board for the vehicle
- Challan of Rs.300 (I will talk about it in Few minutes)
L Board for the vehicle is mandatory, as we are still holding the Learners Licence. You are not supposed to drive in Public roads without ‘L’ board until you get the driving licence.
At this stage, you will be provided with a slot for the driving test by the transport department. On this occasion, it will be essential for you to understand that the transport department does not provide you a vehicle for the testing, and you will be required to arrange one yourselves or hire one from a driving school.
The Day of Driving Licence Road Test at Delhi
Excited..! Hell Yeah ? Read Further, We are closing the Target.
This is the Crucial Phase of Driving Licence Test in Delhi. Today, In the Public Roads, You will have to show the Inspector that You are capable of Driving a Vehicle Either Bike, Car or Whatever Vehicle You wish to Earn Driving Licence for.
Be Prepared very well with Hand Signals while Starting, allowing other vehicles to pass us while driving(Overtaking :D), while Stopping vehicle (Hand Signal + Indicator) etc.
- On the Day of Road Test, Ensure to Reach the RTO Office atleast by 9:00 am where you applied for Driving Licence. The Road Test may happen at any time before 3 pm.
- Pay Rs.300 and get a Challan for the Licence and Another one of Rs. 100 INR for DL Test.
- Go and meet the File Inspector to verify all documents are in place as expected.
- Once done, Register your Finger Prints and Photographs.
- Ask their guidance to find the officer/clerk who will enter your data in the system.
- Move on to the Inspector Room who will again check for all Documents required for the Driving License and Road Test.
- Now its time to sit back and relax for sometime. The RTO Officer may ask you to wait on the test spot infront of the office.
- Test may start at any time after 11:30am, please be calm until your turn comes up.
- For two wheelers, usually they ask you to make a ‘U’ turn on the street, ensure you are scoring it with relevant hand signals.
- There is a possibility that, RTO officer may ask to make a circle, ensure to park the vehicle always on the left hand side before and after the test.
Once you are completed successfully, You may Receive the Licence in Smart Card form with in 3-4 weeks.
After the test has been completed you will be required to provide an impression of your fingers apart from the photographs and all other documents which have been spoken about. Your driving licence should be in your possession within a short while because they are generally sent across by using postal services. At the same time, provisions are also available to collect the driving license on the same day.
The transport authorities in New Delhi are pretty stringent in the application to the rules which have been specified. People who are apprehended driving without a Driving Licence can be made liable for penalties and incarceration, particularly in the case of accidents, which may cause fatalities.
RTO Offices in Delhi
|Mall Road, Delhi North||DL01|
|Tilak Marg, New Delhi||DL02|
|Sheikh Sarai, South Delhi South||DL03|
|West Janakpuri, West Delhi West||DL04|
|Loni Road, North East Delhi||DL05|
|Sarai Kale Khan, Central Delhi||DL06|
|Mayur Vihar, East Delhi||DL07|
|Wazir Pur, North West Delhi||DL08|
|Janakpuri, South West Delhi||DL09|
|Rohini, North West Delhi||DL11|
|Vasant Vihar, South West Delhi||DL12|
|Surajmal Vihar, Delhi||DL13|
Addition of New Class of Vehicle to a DL
A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle ( Bike ) may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle (Car etc.) at any time. Documents Required are
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Valid Learners’ Licence for the category.
- Application in Form 8.
- Form 1(Self declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Duplicate Driving License in Delhi
Are you worried after losing driving license and looking more details on how to apply for a duplicate licence. You are not alone this largest democratic country. There are 1000’s of duplicate driving driving licence applications coming in to RTO office.
We may easily ask for reissue of driving license online or by the traditional method of submitting form.However, the matters are not as complicated as believed because the transport department is also aware about how such incidences can occur.To start with you may keep lost driving licence form download ed. Duplicate driving licence form is known as LLD.
Documents for Duplicate Licence in Delhi
- Intimation of Loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence, or known as LLD.
- If the Licence is stolen, then process for applying duplicate driving license should get in to legal documentation by submitting a First Investigation Report (FIR) from Police station.
- If the Licence is not lost, instead if it got damaged, you are good to submit the Original Driving License.
- It is always recommended to keep xerox/photocopies of the actual driving licence, to make the process easy for the assessing officer in the RTO office, but don’t worry if you don’t have any.
- Depending on the RTO office, you may be asked for age proof and address proof which you have used for applying original driving licence.
How to Avail Duplicate Licence online
As mentioned earlier, only few RTOs in Indian states offer facility to apply online for duplicate driving license like Delhi etc, I will update the list as separate article. Still, let’s go through the process.
- You will have to fill Intimation of loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence online with no mistakes, to ensure the integrity of the application.
- Once the application is submitted, ensure to upload necessary documents online as a measure of how genuine and valid is the applicant.
- Once the application is filled, get a hard copy of the filled online form for duplicate license, attach requested documents as proof and passport site photograph without fail.
- Head to RTO office and submit the application with prescribed fee depending on smartcard/Laminated copy.
- You may receive duplicate driving license in not more than 2-3 weeks to the mentioned delivery address.
Majority of the RTOs operating in many states are in process of implementing system to enable online applications for duplicate driving license, till the time it is implemented we will have to apply for duplicate licence using lld application form with relevant documents.(If any).
- You may reach out to one of the nearby driving schools, who helps you to understand process for applying duplicate licence – They are registered agents with RTO, who can submit application in lieu of you.
- Finding a 3rd party agent is the easiest method. They do even help in filling the forms, so that you just have to sign it.
- Directly head to RTO office, talk to an officer sitting in the help desk/Info section of the office, who prepares a checklist needed for duplicate driving license.
- Ensure all particulars are filled in the lld form for duplicate driving license, attach necessary documents as prescribed by the RTO personnel.
- While paying the fee, RTA officer verifies all documents are in place as expected, Once verified you are good to leave the office.
- You will be provided with an acknowledgement slip, which you have to keep safe. Would be helpful to show while to a traffic police till the time you receive duplicate driving licence.
- You may receive duplicate driving license in not more than 2-3 weeks to the mentioned delivery address.
Fee for Duplicate Driving License in Delhi
It must be understood that the duplicate driving Licence will not be issued free of cost, and the transport department will be charging Rs.485 for the issuance. The payment can be made in cash, a demand draft or even a challan which will be issued. People can rest assured that they will soon be in possession of the duplicate driving Licence the time of which will be stipulated by The Transport Authority of India.
Renewal of Driving License in Delhi
A Driving License has no exception to this rule and when it has passed its validity, you will be required to make an application with The Transport Authority of India for the renewal of the Driving licence.
- Information about whether their driving license has been revoked for any reason must also be provided.
- If the licensee has passed the age of 50, he or she will be required also to furnish a medical certificate in form 1A.
- They are also required to pay the fees of Rs.485 along with their application for the renewal.
Corrections in Driving Licence in Delhi
Regardless of the reasons for the errors in the personal details of the licensee , it is essential that the same be rectified without delays. The subject of making corrections in a Driving license therefore, become important immediately when the matter is noticed.
Errors Liable for Correction in Driving Licence
- Correction in the Name of the Driving Licence holder.
- Correction in the Last name/Initials of the DL holder.
- Changes in the Address of the Driving license Holder
- Date of birth of Driving Licence Holder
- Blood group of Driving License Holder
The licensee making an application for the corrections to be made in the driving licence must complete the form LLD and form 1 which will provide the transport department with the personal information about the individual.
International Driving Licence
International driving permits are issued from various zonal offices. The validity of this permit is for one year. You are required to get your licence from the country your visiting within one year period. Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for a International driving permit :-
- Valid driving licence issued.
- attested copy of address proof.
- attested copy of Birth certificate
- Valid passport
- Valid Visa
- Fee of Rs. 200/-
- Two passport size photograph.
The International driving permit is issued from 9.00 AM to 3.00 PM from HQ :
International Driving Licence Unit,
Transport Department (HQ)
1st floor, 5/9 Under Hill Road,
Other Side of Delhi Driving License
The description provided should not be a concern for legitimate applicants for a driving license. However, since New Delhi has close proximity to states like UP, and Punjab people are regularly moving between the states and also using their vehicles. New Delhi has the reputation of being one of the cities where countless numbers of people do not hesitate to challenge the law enforcement authorities.
A few years ago, reports could be seen on the local media about children being crushed by Blue Line buses with alarming regularity. While some accidents could be blamed on the children, most were of the type where the driver of the vehicle did not have a driving license or was in control of a vehicle which he was not supposed to drive. Numerous other incidents also have taken place within the city of New Delhi and committed by drivers who had obtained licenses from the local authorities or the neighboring states.
Spurious licences are also common along with underage driving. However, despite the precautions being taken by the authorities and imposing heavy penalties it must be mentioned that the incidents have continued unabated and are currently causing a great deal of concerns among the general public.
It is not difficult to notice countless two wheelers plying on the roads of New Delhi and driven by people who already hold driving licenses. While an assumption can be made that the people have the documents necessary to drive on the roads most are doing so without using helmets, which have been made mandatory. This is a common problem within the city and in 2015 the number of drivers without helmets was reported as 400,000. It is certain that the numbers have grown immensely simply because people do not care about the laws or are looking forward to bribing the traffic police as and when they are stopped for this offense. Sensitization programs are regularly being held by the traffic police to improve the thought process of two wheeler users.
Driving without seatbelts is another offense, which is quite common in India and perhaps New Delhi has higher numbers of people who are committing offenses like these. These are people who belong in the class of the rich and famous and even the politicians and get away with their offenses without ever being stopped by the traffic department. Fortunately, these matters are presently receiving plenty of attention because of the increasing number of accidents and fatalities, which have been reported. The authorities have responded positively to these concerns by increasing the charges for a driving license along with the penalties imposed for any offenses from the figures charged earlier by nearly 5 times. In the present conditions, one can only hope that people will begin to realize the financial implications of their offenses if and when committed and begin to use the affordable option of simply staying in line with the requirements.
Getting a driving license in Delhi does not require an applicant to hold qualifications that are from another planet. He or she is just required to understand the rules and regulations of driving on the roads and must be prepared to spend some time and make an effort to obtain a driving license which will easily be available. Of course, they must also have in hand the documents that are required especially to prove their identity and their place of residence. It will be beneficial if people try to understand the kind of tests which they will be required to clear before they finally have the highly valued driving license within their possession.
Most importantly people must understand they have been categorized as responsible citizens from the country when they receive the driving license and must never develop the impression that they now have the permission to circumvent the rules as and when they desire. It will not just prove harmful for themselves and the general public, but the time will not be far away when they are apprehended and subjected to penalties or could even lose their prized possession after going through the procedure of getting a driving license in Delhi.