Obtaining a Driving Licence in any part from the world imposes a certain set of rules and regulations on the applicant because the individual could be looking forward to using a mechanized vehicle on the roads.
People who are looking forward to making an application for a driving license in Bangalore will be required to prove that they are responsible enough to qualify as holders of the license.
The city of Bangalore which is the capital of Karnataka is no exception to this rule and people who intend to use a vehicle within the state will be required to obtain the license from the competent authorities before they are permitted to use a vehicle.
Driving License is Must in Bangalore
The city of Bangalore has long been identified as the “Garden City” of India and during the recent, past has witnessed a boom within the sector of information technology. Unfortunately, the regional government within the state had not been able to keep pace with the developments and has lagged behind even as the population within the state increased dramatically. With the development within the IT industry a number of professionals from throughout India headed for Bangalore with the sole intention of improving their careers. These people did not have access to public transport and were left to the mercy of auto rickshaws [vehicles driven by private operators for commercial reasons] who usually tried to exhort exorbitant sums of money from their passengers.
The lack of adequate public transport and the fact that private operators were looking forward to taking advantage of the situation left people with no option but to apply for and obtain a driving license within the state of Bangalore. This was not considered as a difficult task because an individual living within the City of Bangalore could easily apply for a driving license to the local RTO by ensuring that he or she meets the desired criteria.
Easy Methods for Driving Licence in Bangalore
There was a time when obtaining a driving license in Bangalore was considered to be a difficult task because the regional transport offices within India do not have a unified mechanism where a single set of rules is applicable within every state.
People had to run around to different offices simply have themselves verified despite having every document in their possession.
Instances of the RTO asking applicants for a driving license to provide proof of verification of their identities or documents from a person who was known to the RTO are well known.
These instances certainly give an impression that officials within the RTO were looking forward to taking advantage of the situation by themselves and making it difficult for applicants to obtain the driving license as desired by them.
However, with the development of the IT industry information about how an application for a driving license could be submitted became available from the Internet and perhaps even led to an increasing number of individuals submitting applications for driving licences.
Categories of Driving License in Bangalore
Presently, one can see the RTO making extra efforts to ensure that the procedure is shortened and does not take a long time to complete. While the procedure has definitely been shortened it must also be mentioned that no compromises have been made by the state government to the rules and regulations which still remain as stringent as before.
When an individual applies for a driving license, he or she is required to specify the type of vehicle they intend to drive because the driving license issued will be specific to the vehicle.
Types of Vehicle Entitled for a Driving Licence in Bangalore
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or lower than 50 cc.
- Motorcycles which have gears along with an engine capacity in excess of 50 cc or more, Light Motor Vehicles [LMV’s] which also includes cars.
- Motorcycles of all types, including those with gears.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of any type but without gears and these can include scooters and mopeds.
- Light motor vehicles for personal use.
- Light motor vehicles for commercial purposes.
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle. These vehicles are provided by a document which is identified as the All India Driving Permit and the document is issued for trucks, buses, cars and is also classified as an open license.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle.
- Individuals who are holding a heavy vehicle driving license are also qualified to apply for a licence to drive heavy trailers.
Fee For Driving License in Bangalore
For your reference adding Fee details apart from Smart Card Driving Licence
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Permit in Form 4A||500|
|Renewal of DL in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|Driving test for each category of vehicle||50|
|Conductor Licence fees||Half of DL fees|
|Endorsement of new class of vehicle in Smart Card||200|
|Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For second copy of Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For appeal against orders of the Licensing Authority||100|
|Trade certificate (Motorcycle)||50|
|Trade certificate (Invalid carriage)||50|
|Renewal of trade certificate (motorcycle / invalid carriage)||50 each|
Learners Driving License in Bangalore
It is essential for every applicant to make an application for a learner’s Driving license during the initial stages before they are allotted with a permanent driving licence.
This is valid for a period of six months and is provided to the applicant solely for learning to drive the vehicle specified and to educate themselves about the rules to follow down the road while driving.
However, applicants have been given the flexibility to apply for a permanent driving licence by booking a slot for a permanent license after just a month after the learner’s license was issued.
Documents Required for Learners Licence
Applicants for a driving license in Bangalore are required to submit the following documents when they consider making an application for learner’s or a permanent driving license. This is a basic necessity, and the RTO usually does not make any exceptions to this rule. The documents needed are as follows:
- Local Address Proof : Rental Agreement should work. Also keep you have telephone bill.
- Permanent Address Proof: Aadhar Card, Passport, Voter ID, Ration Card.
- Personal Identification: Birth Certificate, PAN Card, Passport, SSLC Certificate
- Age Proof : Birth Certificate, 10th Class Mark Sheet
- Qualification Proof: Your Latest Educational Certificate like 10th, Plus Two, Degree Etc.
- Passport Sized Photo – 4 Nos
- Take application print, fill the required details and stick your photo as well.
On numerous occasions, officials based in the RTO have requested additional documents to be provided after looking at the profile of the applicant. It is therefore advised that applicants should confirm with the staff from the office for proceeding to submit the documents for the type of licence they desire.
Online Application for Learners Driving License
- Navigate to Official website of Sarathi at https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/LLDLForm.jsp
- Select New Learners Licence and Click on Continue.
3. Fill Personal Particulars of the Learners Driving Licence Applicant.
4. Fill Address Details. Please note you should have the Address Proof Documents in Bangalore as listed Below.
5. Select the Class of Vehicles you wish to apply in Bangalore for Learners Driving License.
6. Upload all Necessary Documents and submit. Ensure to take a print out of Acknowledgment Slip.
Fee for Learners Licence in Bangalore
Fee for One Class of Learners License is Rs.150/- INR. For additional classes/category of License, multiples of original fee has to be paid.
Validity of Learners License
A learner’s driving Licence has a validity period of six months, but the candidate can apply for a permanent driving Licence after just 30 days of obtaining the learner’s driving Licence.
Applied for Learners Driving Licence ? What’s Next ?
Once You are confident to appear for Learners Driving Licence Test, You can head to RTO office to appear for the Licence Test Exam. Here is what you have to do.
- Visit RTO (best to reach by 9 to 10am) due to crowd and avoid long queue.
- Take challan from ground floor challan counter
- Go to LL inspector room where they check your documents and file. (KR puram RTO 1st floor)
- After that we have to go camera room where they take photo, eye scan and finger print(KR Puram RTO : ground floor)
- Then to go data entry room (KR Puram : Ground floor only)
- Once we go through all these procedure then time for road sign test. we can choose computer test or oral test.
Computer test has 15 multiple choice questions of traffic rules and signs and you will be provided with 15 min to answer them. You will get to know the score immediately after the test. Once test is finished, RTO inspector will guide you to take eye test.
Oral test is bit easy compared to Computer Test as the officer asks you to explain hand signals, street signs, parking points etc.
Chances of getting failed in learners test is Null. If in case if you fail in Learners test, don’t get disappointed. Re-test is allowed and you may reappear after preparing again.
Permanent Driving Licence Online Process in Bangalore
The time-honored procedure for making an application for a driving license throughout India was to visit the office of the RTO and collect an application form promptly or alternatively request for the documents from a motor vehicle driving school. However dramatic changes have been seen throughout the country where it is now possible to download the forms required instantly by visiting the website the RTO.
Bangalore and a few other cities within India that have a robust IT infrastructure have made it convenient for people not to waste time by visiting the RTO office. The applicant will be required to submit the form along with the documents specified above to the RTO after which they will be provided with a slot for the initial test to understand whether the applicant is aware of the rules, regulations along with the traffic laws.
The learners driving license will be issued only after the applicant had successfully passed the preliminary test.
Applicants who have already applied for and received a learner’s license can rest assured that the procedures for obtaining a permanent driving license are pretty simple.
The learners license would have given the applicants a period to six months fully to become customized with the rules and regulations and the traffic laws which are applied by the traffic police from the city of Bangalore.
Applicants can certainly wait for their learners license becoming invalid before making an application for the permanent driving license. However, if they are confident of their knowledge, they have an opportunity to complete the entire procedure after a month of receiving the learners licenses.
Step 1: Apply in Parivahan Sarathi Portal here.
Step 2: Fill in Particulars as you did while applying for learners licence, once done, select the Documents list.
Step 3: Since we are applying for Permanent DL, Ensure to select LL first, Enter Learners Licence number, RTO office code ( note it down from your learners licence) and date of issue.
Step 4: Select and add remaining documents details for address proof, Identity proof Etc.
Step 5: Answer couple of questions in the Same tab.
Step 6: Submit Application, get the form and acknowledgement slip printed.
Step 7: Document Checklist – Please note, all Documents should be Original as there would be a physical verification.
- Online Acknowledgement Slip
- Online Application Form
- Learners Licence
- Identity Documents
- Local and Permanent Address proof
- 3-4 Passport Sized Photograph
- RC Book of your vehicle.
- Insurance Copy
- PUC certificate
- ‘L’ Board for the vehicle
- Challan of Rs.300 (I will talk about it in Few minutes)
L Board for the vehicle is mandatory, as we are still holding the Learners Licence. You are not supposed to drive in Public roads without ‘L’ board until you get the driving licence.
Offline Procedure for Driving License in Bangalore
Driving Licence Application form must be filled with utter care to ensure there are no errors and no field should be left unattended while applying for Driving License (DL) in Bangalore. If You are planning to apply for converting existing driving license to Smart Card Licence, this form can be used.
- When you are applying for a Driving License, you will be required to complete form 4 regardless of whether your application is pertaining to a single category of vehicle or two categories.
- If you are looking forward to adding another class of vehicles within the Smart Card Driving Licence, you will be needed to complete form 8.
- If your application is for an International Driving Permit, none of the above will be appropriate for your requirements because you will need to complete form 1 A and 4A. (Please note IDP is not issued as Smart Card till the date)
- If you have lost or misplaced your Smart Card Driver’s License ( DL) and need to apply for a duplicate driving Licence you will need to complete the form LLD.
- If for any reason, you are required to renew your Smart Card Driving Licence, the form that needs to be completed is 9, 1 and 1A.
The Day of Driving Licence Road Test at Bangalore
Excited..! Hell Yeah ? Read Further, We are closing the Target.
This is the Crucial Phase of Driving License Test in Bangalore. Today, In the Public Roads, You will have to show the Inspector that You are capable of Driving a Vehicle Either Bike, Car or Whatever Vehicle You wish to Earn Driving Licence for.
Be Prepared very well with Hand Signals while Starting, allowing other vehicles to pass us while driving(Overtaking in India :D), while Stopping vehicle (Hand Signal + Indicator) etc.
- On the Day of Road Test, Ensure to Reach the RTO Office atleast by 9:00 am where you applied for Driving Licence. The Road Test may happen at any time before 3 pm.
- Pay Rs.300 and get a Challan for the Licence and Another one of Rs. 100 INR for DL Test.
- Go and meet the File Inspector to verify all documents are in place as expected.
- Once done, Register your Finger Prints and Photographs.
- Ask their guidance to find the officer/clerk who will enter your data in the system.
- Move on to the Inspector Room who will again check for all Documents required for the Driving License and Road Test.
- Now its time to sit back and relax for sometime. The RTO Officer may ask you to wait on the test spot infront of the office.
- Test may start at any time after 11:30am, please be calm until your turn comes up.
- For two wheelers, usually they ask you to make a ‘U’ turn on the street, ensure you are scoring it with relevant hand signals.
- There is a possibility that, RTO officer may ask to make a circle, ensure to park the vehicle always on the left hand side before and after the test.
Test Assessment Points / Parameters
- Adjust rear view mirror.
- Take suitable precautions like fastening of seat belts etc before starting engine.
- Move away safely and smoothly straight ahead at an angle while at the same time use of all gears.
- Change quickly to lower gear when the traffic conditions warrant such change.
- Change quickly to lower gears while driving down hill.
- Stop and restart on steep upward incline make proper use of hand brakes and of the foot brakes without rolling back, turn right and left corners correctly using rear view mirror before signaling
- Over take and allow to be overtaken safely with proper caution giving appropriate signals.
- Give appropriate signals by hand or by electrical indicators clearly without mistake.
- Change the lanes using proper signals with care.
- Stop the vehicle in an emergency safely.
- Use of the reverse gear while driving the vehicle backwards with reasonable accuracy.
- Use the forward and reverse gears to change the face of vehicle in opposite direction.
- Take correct and prompt action at signals given by traffic signs ,signals, policemen and other road users.
- Drive cautiously at pedestrians crossings giving preference to persons crossing the road.
- Keep well to the left in normal driving.
- Regulate the speed to suit varying road and traffic conditions.
- Demonstrate control of the vehicle by confident steering and smooth gear changing and braking as and when required.
- Make proper use of rear view mirror before signaling, maneuvering, overtaking , turning to right or stopping.
- Use proper side when driving straight, turning and at road junctions.
- Make proper use of accelerator, clutch, gears, brakes, steering and horn.
- Anticipate the actions of other road users.
- Take precautions at intersections & road junctions to adjust the speed , proper positioning of the vehicle , use rear view mirror & avoidance of cutting right hand corner.
- Concentrate on driving with attention & presence of mind.
- Show courtesy & consideration for other road users keeping in mind the road safety.
Once you are completed successfully, You may Receive the Licence in Smart Card form with in 3-4 weeks.
RTO Offices in Bangalore
- RTO – 01 BENGALURU (CENTRAL), KORMANGALA
- RTO – 02 BENGALURU (WEST), RAJAJINAGAR
- RTO – 04 BENGALURU (NORTH), YESHWANTHPUR
- RTO – 05 BENGALURU (SOUTH), JAYANAGAR
- RTO – 50 BENGALURU (NORTH), YELAHANKA
- RTO – 51 BENGALURU, ELECTRONIC CITY
Addition of New Class of Vehicle to a DL
A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle ( Bike ) may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle (Car etc.) at any time. Documents Required are
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Valid Learners’ Licence for the category.
- Application in Form 8.
- Form 1(Self declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Duplicate Driving License in Bengaluru
Are you worried after losing driving license and looking more details on how to apply for a duplicate licence. You are not alone this largest democratic country. There are 1000’s of duplicate driving driving licence applications coming in to RTO office.
We may easily ask for reissue of driving license online or by the traditional method of submitting form.However, the matters are not as complicated as believed because the transport department is also aware about how such incidences can occur.To start with you may keep lost driving licence form download ed. Duplicate driving licence form is known as LLD.
Documents Required for Duplicate Licence
- Intimation of Loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence, or known as LLD.
- If the Licence is stolen, then process for applying duplicate driving license should get in to legal documentation by submitting a First Investigation Report (FIR) from Police station.
- If the Licence is not lost, instead if it got damaged, you are good to submit the Original Driving License.
- It is always recommended to keep xerox/photocopies of the actual driving licence, to make the process easy for the assessing officer in the RTO office, but don’t worry if you don’t have any.
- Depending on the RTO office, you may be asked for age proof and address proof which you have used for applying original driving licence.
Renewal of Driving License
A Driving License has no exception to this rule and when it has passed its validity, you will be required to make an application with The Transport Authority of India for the renewal of the Driving licence.
- Information about whether their driving license has been revoked for any reason must also be provided.
- If the licensee has passed the age of 50, he or she will be required also to furnish a medical certificate in form 1A.
- They are also required to pay the fees of Rs.485 along with their application for the renewal.
Corrections in Driving Licence
Regardless of the reasons for the errors in the personal details of the licensee , it is essential that the same be rectified without delays. The subject of making corrections in a Driving license therefore, become important immediately when the matter is noticed.
Errors Liable for Correction in Driving Licence
- Correction in the Name of the Driving Licence holder.
- Correction in the Last name/Initials of the DL holder.
- Changes in the Address of the Driving license Holder
- Date of birth of Driving Licence Holder
- Blood group of Driving License Holder
The licensee making an application for the corrections to be made in the driving licence must complete the form LLD and form 1 which will provide the transport department with the personal information about the individual.
International Driving Licence Permit in Bengaluru
The Regional Transport Office Of Bangalore also issues an IDP [international driving permit] for candidates who are holding a valid driving licence within India and are looking forward to visiting foreign nations for any reason. In order to obtain the IDP the form specified for the purpose must be completed by the applicant who should also provide details about the duration of their visit, the purpose and the number of countries where they are expected to travel, and the information should be furnished to the jurisdictional RTO along with any other documents, which may have been specified.
The fee for an IDP is Rs.500, and this amount should be paid along with the application which is being submitted. Candidates can rest assured that the transport department will issue an IDP which will enable them to use the document during their travels abroad.
International driving permits are issued from various zonal offices. The validity of this permit is for one year. You are required to get your licence from the country your visiting within one year period. Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for a International driving permit :-
- Valid driving licence issued.
- attested copy of address proof.
- attested copy of Birth certificate
- Valid passport
- Valid Visa
- Fee of Rs. 200/-
- Two passport size photograph.
Other Side of Story
India is a vast country which has 29 states and seven union territories, and despite the language of Hindi is being acknowledged as the national language, regional languages within the state where an application for a driving license is being submitted could have a specification that the application must be completed in the regional language. This provides an indicator that applicants for a driving license will be required either to master or at least to have knowledge of Kannada, which is the local dialect.
They could be required to submit their applications in Kannada and also have information about the traffic rules in place along with their meanings in Kannada as well. Some portions of the driving license will moreover, have information of the applicant in the local language, and therefore, it will become essential for the applicant, especially from different states also to have a translation of the driving license in order to verify whether any changes need to be made in the license which could have inadvertently been placed.
Though the matter is not difficult, it can certainly put some stress on the license holder along with unnecessary expenditure. Moreover, it is highly possible that the license holder may be required to move into another state for professional and personal reasons where the local dialect may not be understood.
A driving license issued in Bangalore is valid throughout India, and therefore, it is strongly recommended that a translated copy of the license also be held by the applicant after he or she has received the learners or the permanent driving license.
As it will be evident throughout this discussion about how to apply for a driving license in Bangalore, it must be understood that the procedures throughout the country are similar and any differences, which may be noticed will be minor and applicable within the state where the application is being submitted. Applicants are advised to visit the website of the transport authority of India where they will have access to all the information they need. If they spend some time to obtain and educate themselves about the information provided by the transport department they will have no difficulties in applying for and obtaining a driving license in any part of India.
During the past when the transport department of India did not have a presence online it was common to notice people running from pillar to post when they decided it was essential for them to obtain a driving license. Plenty of confusion prevailed because people were unable to get the proper information needed from authoritative sources. In the conditions which prevailed during the past, it was common to notice applicants for a driving license contacting agents and touts that were usually working together with unscrupulous individuals within the RTO or the RTA and making every effort to convince applicants that the procedure was extremely difficult to manage unless they were hired to complete the process of making the application and even obtaining the driving license that was required. Fortunately, things are no longer the same, and therefore, it is easier for people to obtain a driving license throughout India simply by going through the minor difficulty of studying the website of the transport department of India.
Bangalore is known as one of the centers for information technology in India, and it would have been rather unfortunate if the city had stayed behind and not made it easy for people that wanted to obtain a driving license for themselves. Bangalore always had a reputation of being innovative and the introduction of the IT industry only made it easier for entrepreneurs who began to collate the information that is required and give people an opportunity to complete the procedures of obtaining a driving license without assistance from agents and touts.
People throughout India usually dread visiting a government office of any type simply because of the malpractices that are involved. However, it has been noticed of late that many departments have begun taking advantage of the facilities that can be provided to numerous people with the help of the Internet. Bangalore has proven to be a leader among other states and has in place a system for the procedure of obtaining a driving license in Bangalore without going through a great deal of difficulties.
Should you have any Questions ? Let us know in Comments..