A driving licence is an essential document which will authorize an applicant either to learn how to drive a vehicle and after the initial learning, process makes him or her eligible to apply for a permanent driving license. The Haryana Motor Vehicle Department has ensured that the state has a transport mechanism which is smooth and the 99 offices of the RTO throughout the state enforce the acts and rules as they have been specified by the Haryana Motor Vehicle Department. When fresh applicants from within the state look forward to applying for a driving license, they will initially be required to satisfy the following eligibility criteria.
Driving Licence in Haryana
The transport Department of Haryana has made arrangements for certain procedures to be completed online and people who find it difficult to visit the RTO can definitely use this method to submit applications for the services which have been stipulated.
It is understood by most people that a visit to the RTO can be time-consuming and on most occasions, people will be required to return without accomplishing the task they had. Many states within India are considering the method of providing online options for people who are constantly looking forward to the cutting down on the time-consuming factors and completing the procedures which are involved according to their convenience.
Haryana is no exception to this rule because they are certainly making the efforts needed to have in place a system which is well-organized and will not require countless people to visit the RTO simply because they need to pay a fine or even, for that matter, submit an application for a learner’s license. These matters can now be handled by people from the comfort of their home or office without having to visit the RTO or even utilize the services provided by agents who tend to charge exorbitant fees to deal with small requirements.
Categories Of Driving License
While Applying for Driving License in Haryana, Please do note you will have to mention the type of vehicle against which Licence is applying for.
People who desire to apply for a driving licence have the option of choosing the type of vehicle for which they would require a permit to drive. The Regional Transport Office Of Haryana provides licenses for the following types of vehicles which people may desire to use according to their requirements.
Below are the categories of vehicles against which a Driving License Application can be made.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or lower than 50 cc.
- Motorcycles which have gears along with an engine capacity in excess of 50 cc or more, Light Motor Vehicles [LMV’s] which also includes cars.
- Motorcycles of all types, including those with gears.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of any type but without gears and these can include scooters and mopeds.
- Light motor vehicles for personal use.
- Light motor vehicles for commercial purposes.
- JCB, Excavator, Construction HGV
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle. These vehicles are provided by a document which is identified as the All India Driving Permit and the document is issued for trucks, buses, cars and is also classified as an open license.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle.
- Individuals who are holding a heavy vehicle driving license are also qualified to apply for a licence to drive heavy trailers.
Eligibility For Driving Licence in Haryana
Are you Eligible to obtain Driving licence in Haryana ? If you are considering the use of a vehicle for commuting to work or even for pursuing your studies, you should primarily make an effort to understand whether you are eligible to obtain a Driving Licence or not.
Tests to determine your levels of expertise of driving a vehicle and your understanding about the rules and regulations will also be conducted. You are required to satisfy every single criterion, which has been specified without which you will not be eligible for the License.
However, the liberalization also brought in a number of manufacturers who were willing to provide new models of vehicles, which did not consume as much fuel as their older counterparts.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Driving Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by Haryana MVD and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Driving License, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the Haryana MVD, Motor Vehicles Department.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Driving Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
Listed below is the eligibility criteria for applicants of learners license in Haryana. The requirements are different for non-transport vehicles, and commercial vehicle which also fall under the transport category.
The minimum age requirement for non-transport vehicles which include motorcycles without gear is 16 years, and for motorcycles with gear is 18 years.
A letter of consent will also be demanded by the Haryana motor vehicle department from the guardians of the applicant or the parents.
Applicants over the age of 50 will also be required to submit CMV-form 1, which would be issued by a registered medical practitioner.
Transport vehicle [commercial]
Applicants who are looking forward to learning to drive a bus, taxi, goods carriers and commercial vehicles of other types should be at least 20 years of age.
The applicant must also be experienced in driving light motor vehicles for at least a year.
CMV-form 1 A issued by registered Dr. should also be submitted.
Fees for Driving License (DL)
Driving Licence fee to be paid is mentioned below while submitting Documents. You may reach out to a Driving School / Agent to make DL application process easier.
For your reference adding Fee details apart from Smart Card Driving Licence
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Permit in Form 4A||500|
|Renewal of DL in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|Driving test for each category of vehicle||50|
|Conductor Licence fees||Half of DL fees|
|Endorsement of new class of vehicle in Smart Card||200|
|Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For second copy of Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For appeal against orders of the Licensing Authority||100|
|Trade certificate (Motorcycle)||50|
|Trade certificate (Invalid carriage)||50|
|Renewal of trade certificate (motorcycle / invalid carriage)||50 each|
Learners Driving License in Haryana
If you are an individual over the age of 18 you will not come across any difficulties in making an application for a Learners driving Licence regardless of the type of vehicle you intend to use by yourselves.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Learners Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by the Transport Authority of India, and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Learners Licence, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the Transport Authority of India.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Learners Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
2.Fee for learners licence in Haryana
|Rs.150/-||for one type/category.|
|Rs.210/-||for two type/categories.|
|Rs.240/-||for three type/categories.|
3.Documents Required for Learners Licence in Haryana
You are required to provide information about yourselves, which will include your name, address, date of birth and place of birth.
a. Acceptable Documents For Personal Identification
- Your birth certificate.
- Your PAN card.
- Your passport.
- Your report card from school showing that you have cleared the 10th grade.
- A transfer certificate from your school which would have your birth date printed on it.
b. Proof Of Address
- Electricity and telephone bills which may have been issued recently.
- LIC bond.
- Aadhaar card.
- Agreement of the house.
- Ration card.
c. Proof Of Age
- Birth certificate.
- Pan card.
- A certificate of transfer from any school which contains the date of birth of the applicant.
- A Mark sheet of the 10th grade to ensure that the applicant has received some education.
4.Restrictions for Learners Driving License Holders
Provided that a learner’s licence limited to driving an invalid carriage may be issued to the applicant, if the licensing authority is satisfied that he is fit to drive such a carriage.
- No learner’s licence shall be issued to any applicant unless he passes to the satisfaction of the licensing authority such test as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
- When an application has been duly made to the appropriate licensing authority and the applicant has satisfied such authority of his physical fitness under sub-section (3) and has passed to the satisfaction of the licensing authority the test referred to in sub-section (5), the licensing authority shall, subject to the provisions, issue the applicant a learner’s licence unless the applicant is disqualified under for driving a motor vehicle or is for the time being disqualified for holding or obtaining a licence to drive a motor vehicle:
Provided that a licensing authority may issue a learner’s licence to drive a motor cycle or a light motor vehicle notwithstanding that it is not the appropriate licensing authority, if such authority is satisfied that there is good reason for the applicant’s inability to apply to the appropriate licensing authority.
- Where the Central Government is satisfied that it is necessary or expedient so to do, it may, by rules made in this behalf, exempt generally, either absolutely or subject to such conditions as may be specified in the rules, any class of persons from the provisions of sub-section (3), or sub-section (5), or both.
- Any learner’s licence for driving a motor cycle in force immediately before the commencement of this Act shall, after such commencement, be deemed to be effective for driving a motor cycle with or without gear.
5.Application for Learners Licence in Haryana
- Navigate to Official website of Sarathi at here
- Select New Learners Licence and Click on Continue.
- Fill Personal Particulars of the Learners Driving Licence Applicant.
- Fill Address Details. Please note you should have the Address Proof Documents in Haryana as listed Below.
- Select the Class of Vehicles you wish to apply in Haryana for Learners Driving License.
- Upload all Necessary Documents and submit. Ensure to take a print out of Acknowledgment Slip.
The learner’s license has a validity period of six months, but the applicant will have an opportunity to apply for a permanent driving license within 90 days of receiving the learners license. Applicants who do not succeed in getting that permanent license during the first test will be invited to undergo another test after seven days by the RTO.
6.Applied for Learners Driving License ? What’s Next ?
After you obtain your learners license one of your first objectives should be the master the type of vehicle mentioned on the license in person. You must understand you will be required to undergo testing when you apply for a permanent license with the type of vehicle for which you would have obtained the learner’s license.
At the same time, you must also be looking forward to understanding the traffic rules which are being applied within the state and make an effort to learn the signs and signals which you would be required to use regularly. The learner’s license is valid over a period to six months, but if you believe that you have mastered driving the vehicle and also have all the information needed about the rules and regulations you can definitely appear in a test for the permanent driving license.
Once You are confident to appear for Learners Driving Licence Test, You can head to RTO office to appear for the Licence Test Exam. Here is what you have to do.
- Visit RTO (best to reach by 9 to 10am) due to crowd and avoid long queue.
- Take challan from ground floor challan counter
- Go to LL inspector room where they check your documents and file.
- After that we have to go camera room where they take photo, eye scan and finger print.
- Then to go data entry room.
- Once we go through all these procedure then time for road sign test. we can choose computer test or oral test.
Computer test has 15 multiple choice questions of traffic rules and signs and you will be provided with 15 min to answer them. You will get to know the score immediately after the test. Once test is finished, RTO inspector will guide you to take eye test.
Oral test is bit easy compared to Computer Test as the officer asks you to explain hand signals, street signs, parking points etc.
Chances of getting failed in learners test is Null. If in case if you fail in Learners test, don’t get disappointed. Re-test is allowed and you may reappear after preparing again.
Permanent Driving Licence In Haryana
Mentioned above is the procedure to apply for a learner’s licence. Let us now consider how applicants can apply for a permanent driving license.
After receiving your learner’s driving licence you cannot be under the impression that you will be able to drive on the roads indefinitely because the learner’s driving license is valid only for six months. Before the completion of the period, you will be required to apply for and obtain a permanent driving licence after proving your competency to handle the type of vehicle you have specified within the learners driving license.
The permanent driving license is a legal document which is issued by the Regional Transport Office [RTO] Of Haryana. The document makes it clear that you are authorized to drive the particular vehicle as specified within the learners licence. You will be expected to carry the license at all times and even produced the same if it is demanded by any law enforcement agency.
A permanent driving licence earned from Haryana is valid throughout the country and also gives you the opportunity to use it as proof of identification and your address. Within the state of Haryana and under the government, the Motor Vehicle Department is ordained the authority to issue driving licences.
a.Application Form For Driving License
As compared to many other states within India the procedures for making an license application have been simplified in Haryana. People who have access to the Internet can visit the official website of the transport department and complete the procedures after selecting the driving license tab on the homepage and complete the information which has been requested.
After the candidates have completed the form and uploaded the relevant documents or even decided to download the form in order to complete it at their convenience, they will be in a position to take the form with them during the time their test has been scheduled. Perhaps the only factor which the transport department was not able to consider within Haryana is the matter of completing the driving test online for which the candidates will be required to visit the RTO.
Before applying for a permanent driving licence the candidates are required to submit certain documents, which will be similar to the documents submitted earlier. They must also pay the fees which have been specified and obtain a slot for the practical driving test.
Candidates who successfully complete the test will receive the driving license on the postal address they had specified in the form when they submitted their application. They will also have an opportunity of collecting the license themselves if they do not mind visiting the RTO on the date which will be provided.
- Birth certificate.
- School certificate.
- voters identity card.
- Pan card.
- Any other documents which have been specified by the state government.
- Proof of address in the form of utility bills, or even a pay slip issued by the state or the central government.
The documents mentioned above must be submitted along with the fees specified, which can range from Rs.200 for a computerized chip license along with the fee for Rs.50 for the driving test. Applicants who may not be comfortable with having a computerized chip license can opt for an ordinary driving license which will only cost 40 Rupees.
The Haryana Motor Vehicles Department is headed by The Transport Commissioner who is responsible for the original transport offices [RTOs] along with the staff throughout the state. The motor vehicles department is prominent in issuing the functions as mentioned here under
- Registration of motor vehicles of the geared and non-geared variety.
- Issuing learners and permanent driving licenses.
- Enforcing the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act.
- Collecting any fees and taxes, which are applicable.
- Numerous other services which include the issue of permits and fitness certificates for vehicles.
The sum total of all RTO offices in Haryana is 99, and these are headed by a regional transport officer while some of them sub regional transport offices, which have joint regional transport officers heading them.
As mentioned earlier candidates will initially be required to obtain a learner’s driving licence and wait for the stipulated period to end before they can again apply for a permanent driving license. During this stage, they will be required to clear the competency test which will be held by the transport department along with the type of vehicle specified by the candidate within the learner’s licence.
The entire procedure will be completed online by the RTO, and the applicant will also receive an acknowledgment at every stage of the application procedure.
Applicants have also been given the option of scheduling an appointment for the driving test over the Internet because it will give them an opportunity to bypass the queue for the driving test confident in the knowledge that the test will be held according to the schedule provided.
Step 1: Apply in Parivahan Sarathi Portal here.
Step 2: Fill in Particulars as you did while applying for learners licence, once done, select the Documents list.
Step 3: Since we are applying for Permanent DL, Ensure to select LL first, Enter Learners Licence number, RTO office code ( note it down from your learners licence) and date of issue.
Step 4: Select and add remaining documents details for address proof, Identity proof Etc.
Step 5: Answer couple of questions in the Same tab.
Step 6: Submit Application, get the form and acknowledgement slip printed.
Step 7: Document Checklist – Please note, all Documents should be Original as there would be a physical verification.
- Online Acknowledgement Slip
- Online Application Form
- Learners Licence
- Identity Documents
- Local and Permanent Address proof
- 3-4 Passport Sized Photograph
- RC Book of your vehicle.
- Insurance Copy
- PUC certificate
- ‘L’ Board for the vehicle
- Challan of Rs.300 (I will talk about it in Few minutes)
L Board for the vehicle is mandatory, as we are still holding the Learners Licence. You are not supposed to drive in Public roads without ‘L’ board until you get the driving licence.
Driving Licence Application form must be filled with utter care to ensure there are no errors and no field should be left unattended while applying for Driving License (DL) in Haryana. If You are planning to apply for converting existing driving license to Smart Card Licence, this form can be used.
- When you are applying for a Driving License, you will be required to complete form 4 regardless of whether your application is pertaining to a single category of vehicle or two categories.
- If you are looking forward to adding another class of vehicles within the Smart Card Driving Licence, you will be needed to complete form 8.
- If your application is for an International Driving Permit, none of the above will be appropriate for your requirements because you will need to complete form 1 A and 4A. (Please note IDP is not issued as Smart Card till the date)
- If you have lost or misplaced your Smart Card Driver’s License ( DL) and need to apply for a duplicate driving Licence you will need to complete the form LLD.
- If for any reason, you are required to renew your Smart Card Driving Licence, the form that needs to be completed is 9, 1 and 1A.
Apart from submitting the documents needed by the transport department the candidates will also be required to pay the fees as specified by the transport department of Haryana. Candidates do not have to remain concerned about the prices which will be charged because they are within the affordable category.
A permanent driving licence will only cost Rs.200 and the fees applicable for the driving test for every class of the vehicle will be Rs.50. A service charge of Rs.50 is also applicable. If candidates are looking forward to applying for an international driving license, the charges for the same are fixed at Rs.500. All the charges and fees must be paid in cash at the regional transport office which will be issuing the license.
The Day of Driving Test In Haryana
Excited..! Hell Yeah ? Read Further, We are closing the Target.
This is the Crucial Phase of Driving License Test in Haryana. Today, In the Public Roads, You will have to show the Inspector that You are capable of Driving a Vehicle Either Bike, Car or Whatever Vehicle You wish to Earn Driving Licence for.
Be Prepared very well with Hand Signals while Starting, allowing other vehicles to pass us while driving (Overtaking in India :D), while Stopping vehicle (Hand Signal + Indicator) etc.
- On the Day of Road Test, Ensure to Reach the RTO Office atleast by 9:00 am where you applied for Driving Licence. The Road Test may happen at any time before 3 pm.
- Pay Rs.300 and get a Challan for the Licence and Another one of Rs. 100 INR for DL Test.
- Go and meet the File Inspector to verify all documents are in place as expected.
- Once done, Register your Finger Prints and Photographs.
- Ask their guidance to find the officer/clerk who will enter your data in the system.
- Move on to the Inspector Room who will again check for all Documents required for the Driving License and Road Test.
- Now its time to sit back and relax for sometime. The RTO Officer may ask you to wait on the test spot infront of the office.
- Test may start at any time after 11:30am, please be calm until your turn comes up.
- For two wheelers, usually they ask you to make a ‘U’ turn on the street, ensure you are scoring it with relevant hand signals.
- There is a possibility that, RTO officer may ask to make a circle, ensure to park the vehicle always on the left hand side before and after the test.
Test Assessment Points / Parameters
- Adjust rear view mirror.
- Take suitable precautions like fastening of seat belts etc before starting engine.
- Move away safely and smoothly straight ahead at an angle while at the same time use of all gears.
- Change quickly to lower gear when the traffic conditions warrant such change.
- Change quickly to lower gears while driving down hill.
- Stop and restart on steep upward incline make proper use of hand brakes and of the foot brakes without rolling back, turn right and left corners correctly using rear view mirror before signaling
- Over take and allow to be overtaken safely with proper caution giving appropriate signals.
- Give appropriate signals by hand or by electrical indicators clearly without mistake.
- Change the lanes using proper signals with care.
- Stop the vehicle in an emergency safely.
- Use of the reverse gear while driving the vehicle backwards with reasonable accuracy.
- Use the forward and reverse gears to change the face of vehicle in opposite direction.
- Take correct and prompt action at signals given by traffic signs ,signals, policemen and other road users.
- Drive cautiously at pedestrians crossings giving preference to persons crossing the road.
- Keep well to the left in normal driving.
- Regulate the speed to suit varying road and traffic conditions.
- Demonstrate control of the vehicle by confident steering and smooth gear changing and braking as and when required.
- Make proper use of rear view mirror before signaling, maneuvering, overtaking , turning to right or stopping.
- Use proper side when driving straight, turning and at road junctions.
- Make proper use of accelerator, clutch, gears, brakes, steering and horn.
- Anticipate the actions of other road users.
- Take precautions at intersections & road junctions to adjust the speed , proper positioning of the vehicle , use rear view mirror & avoidance of cutting right hand corner.
- Concentrate on driving with attention & presence of mind.
- Show courtesy & consideration for other road users keeping in mind the road safety.
Once you are completed successfully, You may Receive the Licence in Smart Card form with in 3-4 weeks.
List of RTO Offices in Haryana
|RTO Locations||RTO Code|
|Jagadhari, Yamuna Nagar||HR58|
Addition of New Class of Vehicle to a DL
A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle ( Bike ) may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle (Car etc.) at any time. Documents Required are
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Valid Learners’ Licence for the category.
- Application in Form 8.
- Form 1(Self declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Duplicate Driving License in Haryana
Are you worried after losing driving license and looking more details on how to apply for a duplicate licence. You are not alone this largest democratic country. There are 1000’s of duplicate driving driving licence applications coming in to RTO office.
We may easily ask for reissue of driving license online or by the traditional method of submitting form.However, the matters are not as complicated as believed because the transport department is also aware about how such incidences can occur.To start with you may keep lost driving licence form download ed. Duplicate driving licence form is known as LLD.
Documents Required for Duplicate Licence
- Intimation of Loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence, or known as LLD.
- If the Licence is stolen, then process for applying duplicate driving license should get in to legal documentation by submitting a First Investigation Report (FIR) from Police station.
- If the Licence is not lost, instead if it got damaged, you are good to submit the Original Driving License.
- It is always recommended to keep xerox/photocopies of the actual driving licence, to make the process easy for the assessing officer in the RTO office, but don’t worry if you don’t have any.
- Depending on the RTO office, you may be asked for age proof and address proof which you have used for applying original driving licence.
Renewal of Driving License
A Driving License has no exception to this rule and when it has passed its validity, you will be required to make an application with The Transport Authority of India for the renewal of the Driving licence.
- Information about whether their driving license has been revoked for any reason must also be provided.
- If the licensee has passed the age of 50, he or she will be required also to furnish a medical certificate in form 1A.
- They are also required to pay the fees of Rs.485 along with their application for the renewal.
Corrections in Driving Licence
Regardless of the reasons for the errors in the personal details of the licensee , it is essential that the same be rectified without delays. The subject of making corrections in a Driving license therefore, become important immediately when the matter is noticed.
Errors Liable for Correction in Driving Licence
- Correction in the Name of the Driving Licence holder.
- Correction in the Last name/Initials of the DL holder.
- Changes in the Address of the Driving license Holder
- Date of birth of Driving Licence Holder
- Blood group of Driving License Holder
The licensee making an application for the corrections to be made in the driving licence must complete the form LLD and form 1 which will provide the transport department with the personal information about the individual.
International Driving Licence Permit in Haryana
The Regional Transport Office Of Haryana also issues an IDP [international driving permit] for candidates who are holding a valid driving licence within India and are looking forward to visiting foreign nations for any reason.
In order to obtain the IDP the form specified for the purpose must be completed by the applicant who should also provide details about the duration of their visit, the purpose and the number of countries where they are expected to travel, and the information should be furnished to the jurisdictional RTO along with any other documents, which may have been specified.
The fee for an IDP is Rs.500, and this amount should be paid along with the application which is being submitted. Candidates can rest assured that the transport department will issue an IDP which will enable them to use the document during their travels abroad.
International driving permits are issued from various zonal offices. The validity of this permit is for one year. You are required to get your licence from the country your visiting within one year period. Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for a International driving permit :-
- Valid driving licence issued.
- attested copy of address proof.
- attested copy of Birth certificate
- Valid passport
- Valid Visa
- Fee of Rs. 200/-
- Two passport size photograph.
Other Side of Haryana Driving License
Government departments within India are looking forward to easing the procedures for all people regardless of whether they are looking forward to applying for a licence or even making payments of taxes, which are due to the internal revenue system. The transport departments from all states are also making efforts to begin using technology for the purpose of issuing licenses, renewing them, making corrections because of any errors and most importantly make it convenient for the countless numbers who are visiting the RTO offices regularly to avail the services which are being offered.
Information is presently filtering in that while the costs of a driving licence have remained stable at Rs.200 adding another class to an existing license will cost an extra Rs.500. The failure to renew driving licenses according to schedule will result in penalties, which could range from Rs.300 initially and Rs.1000 for every subsequent year of delay. The cost of a learner’s license has also been increased to Rs.150 and while the fees for a driving test remain stable at Rs.50 candidates who are not successful in the initial attempt will be required to pay an additional Rs.50 for every test thereafter. The cost of international driving licenses will henceforth be Rs.1000 instead of the Rs.500 which was charged earlier.