Lets kick off the process of getting Driving Licence Online in the city of Kolkata, which is located on the east bank of the river Hooghly is the capital of the state West Bengal. This city is home to one of the oldest operating ports in India, which is the sole major riverine port. Kolkata had a population of 4.5 million in 2011, but the figure presently increased to 14.1 million and has given the capital of West Bengal the credit for being the third most populous metropolitan region within India.
Do You Need Driving License in Kolkata ?
Being one of the most congested cities of the country and the imagination of the conditions which are prevailing could leave people wondering whether it will even be possible to move around the city for professional and personal reasons. The city definitely has in place a public transport system in the form of buses and trams. However, no improvements have been noticed in the infrastructure which is available leading to numerous people deciding to have a mode of transportation of their own and making applications to obtain a driving license in Kolkata.
The description provided above could give you a feeling that a discussion is being held about the city from the prehistoric times. This is, however, not the condition because Kolkata certainly has a public transport system in the form of buses, trams along with the older versions of the subway. However, the dramatic increase in the population along with the fact that more people presently look forward to making arrangements for themselves to commute distances without having to depend on public transport is making it necessary for them to obtain a driving license.
Easy Methods for Driving Licence in Kolkata
You should not be surprised that despite the lack of infrastructure and the consistently increasing numbers of people who are making an effort to obtain a driving license the transport authority located within the city of Kolkata has made the arrangements necessary and even provided all information about how you can effortlessly overcome any problems you could be facing because of the inadequate transportation arrangements which are in place.
You will have multiple options when you decide to exercise your right and submit an application for the Driving Licence.
If you are tech savvy and have access to the Internet you can definitely use the Vahan E express program that gives you an opportunity to apply for a driving license from the comfort of your home or office.
On the other hand, if you do not have access to these facilities, you can visit the offices of the transport department where you will be able to complete the formalities and receive a license within the stipulated period. In this case, you are advised to be prepared to deal with the rush which can be expected in a congested city-like Kolkata.
Eligibility For Driving License in Kolkata
You must also make an attempt to understand the type of licenses that are issued by the transport department of West Bengal. As mentioned earlier, Kolkata is a city within the state of West Bengal, and the transport department comes under the aegis of the state government.
- It is definitely managed from the capital of the state which is Kolkata but is recognized as the transport department of West Bengal. Kolkata has in place a system to issue three types of licenses for the people that are looking forward to applying for them. They are as follows:
- Applicants within the age group of 16 to 18 are allowed to use a motor vehicle with an engine capacity of 50 cc, which is not equipped with gears.
- Motor vehicles off any kind but not within the category of the class of transport can be used by applicants over the age of 18.
- Applicants over the age of 20 will have the option to apply for and obtain a driving license for all categories of vehicles, including transport vehicles.
Types of Vehicle Entitled for a Driving Licence in Kolkata
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or lower than 50 cc.
- Motorcycles which have gears along with an engine capacity in excess of 50 cc or more, Light Motor Vehicles [LMV’s] which also includes cars.
- Motorcycles of all types, including those with gears.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of any type but without gears and these can include scooters and mopeds.
- Light motor vehicles for personal use.
- Light motor vehicles for commercial purposes.
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle. These vehicles are provided by a document which is identified as the All India Driving Permit and the document is issued for trucks, buses, cars and is also classified as an open license.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle.
- Individuals who are holding a heavy vehicle driving license are also qualified to apply for a licence to drive heavy trailers.
Fee For Driving License in Kolkata
For your reference adding Fee details apart from Smart Card Driving Licence
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Permit in Form 4A||500|
|Renewal of DL in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|Driving test for each category of vehicle||50|
|Conductor Licence fees||Half of DL fees|
|Endorsement of new class of vehicle in Smart Card||200|
|Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For second copy of Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For appeal against orders of the Licensing Authority||100|
|Trade certificate (Motorcycle)||50|
|Trade certificate (Invalid carriage)||50|
|Renewal of trade certificate (motorcycle / invalid carriage)||50 each|
Learners Driving License in Kolkata
As it is the norm within Kolkata, you will be required to obtain a learner’s Driving licence initially by passing a test which will be held by the transport department to determine your eligibility.
The test conducted will be a combination of verbal and written portions, which will be aiming to understand whether you are aware of the road safety rules, regulations and have information about the signs and signals that must be used when you are learning to drive.
You will be in a position to apply for a permanent driving license after you have held the learner’s driving licence for a month and have made the efforts necessary to master the vehicle you intend to use along with the rules and regulations that will be applicable.
The learner’s Driving license has a validity period of six months, but you will, however, have an option to apply for a permanent driving licence during any time after holding the learner’s license for a month.
Obtaining any document within India will require a set of documents which you need to be submitted to the authority and command. Therefore, you are advised to be prepared with the following documents without which your application will not be entertained.
Documents Required for Learners Licence in Kolkata
Applicants for a driving license in Kolkata are required to submit the following documents when they consider making an application for learner’s or a permanent driving license. This is a basic necessity, and the RTO usually does not make any exceptions to this rule. The documents needed are as follows:
- Local Address Proof : Rental Agreement should work. Also keep you have telephone bill.
- Permanent Address Proof: Aadhar Card, Passport, Voter ID, Ration Card.
- Personal Identification: Birth Certificate, PAN Card, Passport, SSLC Certificate
- Age Proof : Birth Certificate, 10th Class Mark Sheet
- Qualification Proof: Your Latest Educational Certificate like 10th, Plus Two, Degree Etc.
- Passport Sized Photo – 4 Nos
- Take application print, fill the required details and stick your photo as well.
On numerous occasions, officials based in the RTO have requested additional documents to be provided after looking at the profile of the applicant. It is therefore advised that applicants should confirm with the staff from the office for proceeding to submit the documents for the type of licence they desire.
Online Application for Learners License in Kolkata
- Navigate to Official website of Sarathi at https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/LLDLForm.jsp
- Select New Learners Licence and Click on Continue.
- Fill Personal Particulars of the Learners Driving Licence Applicant.
4. Fill Address Details. Please note you should have the Address Proof Documents in Kolkata as listed Below.
5. Select the Class of Vehicles you wish to apply in Kolkata for Learners Driving License.
6. Upload all Necessary Documents and submit. Ensure to take a print out of Acknowledgment Slip.
Fee for Learners Licence in Kolkata
Fee for One Class of Learners License is Rs.150/- INR. For additional classes/category of License, multiples of original fee has to be paid.
Validity of Learners License
A learner’s driving Licence has a validity period of six months, but the candidate can apply for a permanent driving Licence after just 30 days of obtaining the learner’s driving Licence.
Applied for Learners Driving Licence ? What’s Next ?
Once You are confident to appear for Learners Driving Licence Test, You can head to RTO office to appear for the Licence Test Exam. Here is what you have to do.
- Visit RTO (best to reach by 9 to 10am) due to crowd and avoid long queue.
- Take challan
- Go to LL inspector room where they check your documents and file.
- After that we have to go camera room where they take photo, eye scan and finger print
- Then to go data entry room
- Once we go through all these procedure then time for road sign test. we can choose computer test or oral test.
Computer test has 15 multiple choice questions of traffic rules and signs and you will be provided with 15 min to answer them. You will get to know the score immediately after the test. Once test is finished, RTO inspector will guide you to take eye test.
Oral test is bit easy compared to Computer Test as the officer asks you to explain hand signals, street signs, parking points etc.
Chances of getting failed in learners test is Null. If in case if you fail in Learners test, don’t get disappointed. Re-test is allowed and you may reappear after preparing again.
Permanent Driving Licence Online Process in Kolkata
The time-honored procedure for making an application for a driving license throughout India was to visit the office of the RTO and collect an application form promptly or alternatively request for the documents from a motor vehicle driving school. However dramatic changes have been seen throughout the country where it is now possible to download the forms required instantly by visiting the website the RTO.
Kolkata and few other cities within India that have a robust IT infrastructure have made it convenient for people not to waste time by visiting the RTO office. The applicant will be required to submit the form along with the documents specified above to the RTO after which they will be provided with a slot for the initial test to understand whether the applicant is aware of the rules, regulations along with the traffic laws.
The learners driving license will be issued only after the applicant had successfully passed the preliminary test.
Applicants who have already applied for and received a learner’s driving licence can rest assured that the procedures for obtaining a permanent driving license are pretty simple.
The learners license would have given the applicants a period to six months fully to become customized with the rules and regulations and the traffic laws which are applied by the traffic police from the city of Kolkata.
Applicants can certainly wait for their learners license becoming invalid before making an application for the permanent driving license. However, if they are confident of their knowledge, they have an opportunity to complete the entire procedure after a month of receiving the learners licenses.
Step 1: Apply in Parivahan Sarathi Portal here.
Step 2: Fill in Particulars as you did while applying for learners licence, once done, select the Documents list.
Step 3: Since we are applying for Permanent DL, Ensure to select LL first, Enter Learners Licence number, RTO office code ( note it down from your learners licence) and date of issue.
Step 4: Select and add remaining documents details for address proof, Identity proof Etc.
Step 5: Answer couple of questions in the Same tab.
Step 6: Submit Application, get the form and acknowledgement slip printed.
Step 7: Document Checklist – Please note, all Documents should be Original as there would be a physical verification.
- Online Acknowledgement Slip
- Online Application Form
- Learners Licence
- Identity Documents
- Local and Permanent Address proof
- 3-4 Passport Sized Photograph
- RC Book of your vehicle.
- Insurance Copy
- PUC certificate
- ‘L’ Board for the vehicle
- Challan of Rs.300 (I will talk about it in Few minutes)
The Day of Driving Licence Road Test at Kolkata
Excited..! Hell Yeah ? Read Further, We are closing the Target.
This is the Crucial Phase of Driving License Test in Kolkata. Today, In the Public Roads, You will have to show the Inspector that You are capable of Driving a Vehicle Either Bike, Car or Whatever Vehicle You wish to Earn Driving Licence for.
Be Prepared very well with Hand Signals while Starting, allowing other vehicles to pass us while driving(Overtaking in India :D), while Stopping vehicle (Hand Signal + Indicator) etc.
- On the Day of Road Test, Ensure to Reach the RTO Office atleast by 9:00 am where you applied for Driving Licence. The Road Test may happen at any time before 3 pm.
- Pay Rs.300 and get a Challan for the Licence and Another one of Rs. 100 INR for DL Test.
- Go and meet the File Inspector to verify all documents are in place as expected.
- Once done, Register your Finger Prints and Photographs.
- Ask their guidance to find the officer/clerk who will enter your data in the system.
- Move on to the Inspector Room who will again check for all Documents required for the Driving License and Road Test.
- Now its time to sit back and relax for sometime. The RTO Officer may ask you to wait on the test spot infront of the office.
- Test may start at any time after 11:30am, please be calm until your turn comes up.
- For two wheelers, usually they ask you to make a ‘U’ turn on the street, ensure you are scoring it with relevant hand signals.
- There is a possibility that, RTO officer may ask to make a circle, ensure to park the vehicle always on the left hand side before and after the test.
You will receive the results of the test immediately after you have completed the test. The license in Smart Card Form will be dispatched to the address provided by you within the application with in 3-4 weeks.. If for any reason, you fail to overcome the procedure, you will be notified immediately about the reasons for your failure and also be provided with information about the next test which you can attempt.
Other Side of the Story
Kolkata has often been criticized as being a dying city even by the late Indian prime minister Rajeev Gandhi in 1985 because the local administration had failed to keep pace with the changes and was just concerned about holding on to their positions.
This city is one of the most important communist bastions within India and one of the longest-serving administrations, which led for about 34 years did not bother about improving the situation within the city. Despite the neglect by the local administration, you are not likely to face a great deal of trouble if you have decided to apply for or are interested in getting information about how you can get a driving license in Kolkata. This task can be smoothly accomplished simply by visiting the Vahan e-services program which will give you an opportunity easy to apply for a driving license from the jurisdictional RTO [regional transport office] which will be valid throughout India.
RTO Offices in Kolkata
Addition of New Class of Vehicle to a DL
A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle ( Bike ) may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle (Car etc.) at any time. Documents Required are
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Valid Learners’ Licence for the category.
- Application in Form 8.
- Form 1(Self declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Duplicate Driving License in Kolkata
Are you worried after losing driving license and looking more details on how to apply for a duplicate licence. You are not alone this largest democratic country. There are 1000’s of duplicate driving driving licence applications coming in to RTO office.
We may easily ask for reissue of driving license online or by the traditional method of submitting form.However, the matters are not as complicated as believed because the transport department is also aware about how such incidences can occur.To start with you may keep lost driving licence form download ed. Duplicate driving licence form is known as LLD.
Documents Required for Duplicate Licence
- Intimation of Loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence, or known as LLD.
- If the Licence is stolen, then process for applying duplicate driving license should get in to legal documentation by submitting a First Investigation Report (FIR) from Police station.
- If the Licence is not lost, instead if it got damaged, you are good to submit the Original Driving License.
- It is always recommended to keep xerox/photocopies of the actual driving licence, to make the process easy for the assessing officer in the RTO office, but don’t worry if you don’t have any.
- Depending on the RTO office, you may be asked for age proof and address proof which you have used for applying original driving licence.
Renewal of Driving License
A Driving License has no exception to this rule and when it has passed its validity, you will be required to make an application with The Transport Authority of India for the renewal of the Driving licence.
- Information about whether their driving license has been revoked for any reason must also be provided.
- If the licensee has passed the age of 50, he or she will be required also to furnish a medical certificate in form 1A.
- They are also required to pay the fees of Rs.485 along with their application for the renewal.
Corrections in Driving Licence
Regardless of the reasons for the errors in the personal details of the licensee , it is essential that the same be rectified without delays. The subject of making corrections in a Driving license therefore, become important immediately when the matter is noticed.
Errors Liable for Correction in Driving Licence
- Correction in the Name of the Driving Licence holder.
- Correction in the Last name/Initials of the DL holder.
- Changes in the Address of the Driving license Holder
- Date of birth of Driving Licence Holder
- Blood group of Driving License Holder
The licensee making an application for the corrections to be made in the driving licence must complete the form LLD and form 1 which will provide the transport department with the personal information about the individual.
International Driving Licence Permit in Kolkata
The Regional Transport Office Of Kolkata also issues an IDP [international driving permit] for candidates who are holding a valid driving licence within India and are looking forward to visiting foreign nations for any reason. In order to obtain the IDP the form specified for the purpose must be completed by the applicant who should also provide details about the duration of their visit, the purpose and the number of countries where they are expected to travel, and the information should be furnished to the jurisdictional RTO along with any other documents, which may have been specified.
The fee for an IDP is Rs.500, and this amount should be paid along with the application which is being submitted. Candidates can rest assured that the transport department will issue an IDP which will enable them to use the document during their travels abroad.
International driving permits are issued from various zonal offices. The validity of this permit is for one year. You are required to get your licence from the country your visiting within one year period. Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for a International driving permit :-
- Valid driving licence issued.
- attested copy of address proof.
- attested copy of Birth certificate
- Valid passport
- Valid Visa
- Fee of Rs. 200/-
- Two passport size photograph.
- Official Website – wb.gov.in