Maharashtra is the financial capital of India and is consistently welcoming people from throughout the country who are looking forward to making this state their home. It is also a state where moving from one place to another can be pretty challenging. Despite Maharashtra having better public transportation facilities than a number of other states, people are regularly looking forward to owning vehicles, although they are aware that they will also be required to obtain a driving license from Maharashtra if they intend to utilize their purchases.
The rising population within the state is also putting plenty of pressure on the RTO of the state as teenagers and students are in the forefront of applying for licenses in an attempt to have independent transportation facilities of their own rather than depend on public transport. This is one of the reasons why the RTO in Maharashtra is better equipped than other offices within the road transport department ( mahatranscom ) within the rest of India.
Driving Licence Process in Maharashtra
The rules in Maharashtra are no different than in other parts of India, and therefore, it is essential to every individual who is looking forward to driving, mandatorily to hold a valid driving licence before he or she begins to drive any vehicle.
Fortunately, the authorities within the state have organized themselves according to the requirements and are able to handle the pressure adequately. They definitely apply all the rules specified by the transport department but also have an attitude which is helpful for people.
Officers within the RTO are aware of the pressure they are dealing with as new applicants are submitting requests for a driving license with every passing day.
Maharashtra is one of the states, which has stipulated that an individual can apply for a learner’s license at the age of 16, and this is perhaps one of the reasons why one can witness a number of youngsters driving around on two wheelers and using the vehicles for commuting to school or college.
Being the financial capital of the country also gives people in Maharashtra access to the funds they need for the purchase of vehicles to give their wards the opportunity of moving around without having to depend on public transportation.
The combination of disposable incomes and the increase in the number of vehicles on the roads made it necessary for people to begin applying for driving licenses from the RTO which had still to modernize itself. Fortunately, the authorities within the transport department managed to bring in the changes needed and were fully equipped to handle the demand for new licenses, which was being noticed.
Presently, the state of Maharashtra has made arrangements to issue diverse types of licenses, which have been mentioned below in this discussion.
The RTO within Maharashtra has further classifications for different categories, and it will be a good option for candidates to gather the information they need in advance before submitting their application.
Categories Of Driving Licence in Maharashtra
Getting a driving licence in Maharashtra was never a problem even in the earlier days but after the former prime minister of India decided to liberalize the economy in 1994, people within the financial capital of India found themselves having in possession disposable incomes which they were prepared to invest in motor vehicles of the type available during those days.
People who desire to apply for a driving licence have the option of choosing the type of vehicle for which they would require a permit to drive. The Regional Transport Office Of Maharashtra provides licenses for the following types of vehicles which people may desire to use according to their requirements.
As it is usually the case applicants for a license must specify the type of vehicle for which they need a license because of the various types which are available. The types of licenses issued are:
- Transport vehicles which can be used to drive commercial and goods vehicles.
- Light motor vehicle [passenger] within this category is included vehicles like taxis, autorickshaw’s, delivery vans and Jeeps.
- Medium goods vehicle – this category includes vehicles like tempos and delivery trucks, which are used for the transportation of goods.
- Medium passenger vehicle – these are specifically issued for minivans, tempos for passengers and larger commercial vehicles.
- Heavy goods vehicle – trucks and large vans which are used for the transportation of goods are included in this category.
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle – this type of license is usually issued for vehicles like buses, which are used as commercial passenger transport.
- Road rollers.
- Non-transport vehicles – the license is given to applicants who are driving private vehicles.
- Motorcycle with gear includes vehicles such as scooters and mopeds.
- Motorcycle with gear – the category is for all motorcycles with gears.
- Light motor vehicle – the category includes vehicles like sedans and hatchbacks.
- If you are looking forward to driving a vehicle which is not specified within the category above you have an option just to apply for a motor vehicle license.
Eligibility For Driving License in Maharashtra
Are you Eligible to obtain Driving licence in Maharashtra ? If you are considering the use of a vehicle for commuting to work or even for pursuing your studies, you should primarily make an effort to understand whether you are eligible to obtain a Driving Licence or not.
Tests to determine your levels of expertise of driving a vehicle and your understanding about the rules and regulations will also be conducted. You are required to satisfy every single criterion, which has been specified without which you will not be eligible for the License.
However, the liberalization also brought in a number of manufacturers who were willing to provide new models of vehicles, which did not consume as much fuel as their older counterparts.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Driving Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by Maharashtra MVD, Mahatranscom and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Driving License, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the Maharashtra MVD, Mahatranscom Motor Vehicles Department.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Driving Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
Fees for Driving License (DL)
Driving Licence fee to be paid is mentioned below while submitting Documents. You may reach out to a Driving School / Agent to make DL application process easier.
For your reference adding Fee details apart from Smart Card Driving Licence
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Permit in Form 4A||500|
|Renewal of DL in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|Driving test for each category of vehicle||50|
|Conductor Licence fees||Half of DL fees|
|Endorsement of new class of vehicle in Smart Card||200|
|Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For second copy of Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For appeal against orders of the Licensing Authority||100|
|Trade certificate (Motorcycle)||50|
|Trade certificate (Invalid carriage)||50|
|Renewal of trade certificate (motorcycle / invalid carriage)||50 each|
Learners Driving License in Maharashtra
If you are an individual over the age of 18 you will not come across any difficulties in making an application for a Learners driving Licence regardless of the type of vehicle you intend to use by yourselves.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Learners Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by the Transport Authority of India, and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Learners Licence, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the Transport Authority of India.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Learners Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
2.Fee for learners licence in Maharashtra
|Rs.150/-||for one type/category.|
|Rs.210/-||for two type/categories.|
|Rs.240/-||for three type/categories.|
3.Documents Required for Learners Licence in Maharashtra
You are required to provide information about yourselves, which will include your name, address, date of birth and place of birth.
a. Acceptable Documents For Personal Identification
- Your birth certificate.
- Your PAN card.
- Your passport.
- Your report card from school showing that you have cleared the 10th grade.
- A transfer certificate from your school which would have your birth date printed on it.
b. Proof Of Address
- Electricity and telephone bills which may have been issued recently.
- LIC bond.
- Aadhaar card.
- Agreement of the house.
- Ration card.
c. Proof Of Age
- Birth certificate.
- Pan card.
- A certificate of transfer from any school which contains the date of birth of the applicant.
- A Mark sheet of the 10th grade to ensure that the applicant has received some education.
4.Restrictions for Learners Driving Licence Holders
Provided that a learner’s licence limited to driving an invalid carriage may be issued to the applicant, if the licensing authority is satisfied that he is fit to drive such a carriage.
- No learner’s licence shall be issued to any applicant unless he passes to the satisfaction of the licensing authority such test as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
- When an application has been duly made to the appropriate licensing authority and the applicant has satisfied such authority of his physical fitness under sub-section (3) and has passed to the satisfaction of the licensing authority the test referred to in sub-section (5), the licensing authority shall, subject to the provisions, issue the applicant a learner’s licence unless the applicant is disqualified under for driving a motor vehicle or is for the time being disqualified for holding or obtaining a licence to drive a motor vehicle:
Provided that a licensing authority may issue a learner’s licence to drive a motor cycle or a light motor vehicle notwithstanding that it is not the appropriate licensing authority, if such authority is satisfied that there is good reason for the applicant’s inability to apply to the appropriate licensing authority.
- Where the Central Government is satisfied that it is necessary or expedient so to do, it may, by rules made in this behalf, exempt generally, either absolutely or subject to such conditions as may be specified in the rules, any class of persons from the provisions of sub-section (3), or sub-section (5), or both.
- Any learner’s licence for driving a motor cycle in force immediately before the commencement of this Act shall, after such commencement, be deemed to be effective for driving a motor cycle with or without gear.
5.Application for Learners Licence in Maharashtra
- Navigate to Official website of Sarathi at https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/LLDLForm.jsp
- Select New Learners Licence and Click on Continue.
- Fill Personal Particulars of the Learners Driving Licence Applicant.
- Fill Address Details. Please note you should have the Address Proof Documents in Maharashtra as listed Below.
- Select the Class of Vehicles you wish to apply in Maharashtra for Learners Driving License.
- Upload all Necessary Documents and submit. Ensure to take a print out of Acknowledgment Slip.
6.Applied for Learners Driving Licence ? What’s Next ?
After you obtain your learners license one of your first objectives should be the master the type of vehicle mentioned on the license in person. You must understand you will be required to undergo testing when you apply for a permanent license with the type of vehicle for which you would have obtained the learner’s license.
At the same time, you must also be looking forward to understanding the traffic rules which are being applied within the state and make an effort to learn the signs and signals which you would be required to use regularly. The learner’s license is valid over a period to six months, but if you believe that you have mastered driving the vehicle and also have all the information needed about the rules and regulations you can definitely appear in a test for the permanent driving license.
Once You are confident to appear for Learners Driving Licence Test, You can head to RTO office to appear for the Licence Test Exam. Here is what you have to do.
- Visit RTO (best to reach by 9 to 10am) due to crowd and avoid long queue.
- Take challan from ground floor challan counter
- Go to LL inspector room where they check your documents and file.
- After that we have to go camera room where they take photo, eye scan and finger print.
- Then to go data entry room.
- Once we go through all these procedure then time for road sign test. we can choose computer test or oral test.
Computer test has 15 multiple choice questions of traffic rules and signs and you will be provided with 15 min to answer them. You will get to know the score immediately after the test. Once test is finished, RTO inspector will guide you to take eye test.
Oral test is bit easy compared to Computer Test as the officer asks you to explain hand signals, street signs, parking points etc.
Chances of getting failed in learners test is Null. If in case if you fail in Learners test, don’t get disappointed. Re-test is allowed and you may reappear after preparing again.
Permanent Driving Licence In Maharashtra
Candidates who are looking forward to applying for a driving license in Maharashtra has the option of doing so by visiting the RTO or even completing the procedure from the comfort of their home by using the online method. However, before going ahead with the procedure candidates is advised to ensure their eligibility as specified by the motor vehicles act within the state. The road transport department within Maharashtra has specified the following:
- Individuals over the age of 16 will be eligible to apply for a two wheeler driving license while the minimum age for a vehicle driving license has been stipulated at 18.
- Applicants who wish to apply for a transport vehicle driving license must be over 20 years of age.
- Applicants must initially apply for a learner’s driving license before applying for a permanent driving license.
- An individual will be eligible to apply for a permanent driving license only after he or she has completed a minimum of 30 days after receiving the learners driving license.
People have been given the option of making on-line and off-line applications for their driving license. Candidates who do not have the time at their disposal can submit online applications and need not to visit the RTO either for the collection of the form or to submit any documents.
a.Application Form For Driving License
As compared to many other states within India the procedures for making an license application have been simplified in Maharashtra. People who have access to the Internet can visit the official website of the transport department and complete the procedures after selecting the driving license tab on the homepage and complete the information which has been requested.
After the candidates have completed the form and uploaded the relevant documents or even decided to download the form in order to complete it at their convenience, they will be in a position to take the form with them during the time their test has been scheduled. Perhaps the only factor which the transport department was not able to consider within Maharashtra is the matter of completing the driving test online for which the candidates will be required to visit the RTO.
As it is the case with all transport offices throughout India the documents needed by the transport office of Maharashtra are no different. For your benefit, they have been specified below.
- Birth certificate.
- School certificate.
- voters identity card.
- Pan card.
- Any other documents which have been specified by the state government.
- Proof of address in the form of utility bills, or even a pay slip issued by the state or the central government.
The documents mentioned above must be submitted along with the fees specified, which can range from Rs.200 for a computerized chip license along with the fee for Rs.50 for the driving test. Applicants who may not be comfortable with having a computerized chip license can opt for an ordinary driving license which will only cost 40 Rupees.
People who desire to apply for a driving licence have the option of choosing the type of vehicle for which they would require a permit to drive. The Regional Transport Office Of Maharashtra provides licences for the following types of vehicles which people may desire to use according to their requirements.
The entire procedure will be completed online by the RTO, and the applicant will also receive an acknowledgment at every stage of the application procedure.
Applicants have also been given the option of scheduling an appointment for the driving test over the Internet because it will give them an opportunity to bypass the queue for the driving test confident in the knowledge that the test will be held according to the schedule provided.
Step 1: Apply in Parivahan Sarathi Portal here.
Step 2: Fill in Particulars as you did while applying for learners licence, once done, select the Documents list.
Step 3: Since we are applying for Permanent DL, Ensure to select LL first, Enter Learners Licence number, RTO office code ( note it down from your learners licence) and date of issue.
Step 4: Select and add remaining documents details for address proof, Identity proof Etc.
Step 5: Answer couple of questions in the Same tab.
Step 6: Submit Application, get the form and acknowledgement slip printed.
Step 7: Document Checklist – Please note, all Documents should be Original as there would be a physical verification.
- Online Acknowledgement Slip
- Online Application Form
- Learners Licence
- Identity Documents
- Local and Permanent Address proof
- 3-4 Passport Sized Photograph
- RC Book of your vehicle.
- Insurance Copy
- PUC certificate
- ‘L’ Board for the vehicle
- Challan of Rs.300 (I will talk about it in Few minutes)
L Board for the vehicle is mandatory, as we are still holding the Learners Licence. You are not supposed to drive in Public roads without ‘L’ board until you get the driving licence.
Driving Licence Application form must be filled with utter care to ensure there are no errors and no field should be left unattended while applying for Driving License (DL) in Maharashtra. If You are planning to apply for converting existing driving license to Smart Card Licence, this form can be used.
- When you are applying for a Driving License, you will be required to complete form 4 regardless of whether your application is pertaining to a single category of vehicle or two categories.
- If you are looking forward to adding another class of vehicles within the Smart Card Driving Licence, you will be needed to complete form 8.
- If your application is for an International Driving Permit, none of the above will be appropriate for your requirements because you will need to complete form 1 A and 4A. (Please note IDP is not issued as Smart Card till the date)
- If you have lost or misplaced your Smart Card Driver’s License ( DL) and need to apply for a duplicate driving Licence you will need to complete the form LLD.
- If for any reason, you are required to renew your Smart Card Driving Licence, the form that needs to be completed is 9, 1 and 1A.
When you submit the documents mentioned above to the officer within the regional transport office you can expect a verification of the documents to be conducted after which you will be directed for the driving test. All RTO offices within India do not provide a vehicle for the testing, and therefore, you will be required to make arrangements for the vehicle yourselves.
If you do not already own a vehicle, you can contact the training school where you learned the driving confident in the knowledge that they will be happy to provide a vehicle for the test. However, you may be required to pay some charges for the services provided. After you have completed the competency test conducted by the RTO you will be required to undergo the neo-metric identification tests which will include a retina scan and fingerprinting.
The Day of Driving Test In Maharashtra
Excited..! Hell Yeah ? Read Further, We are closing the Target.
This is the Crucial Phase of Driving License Test in Maharashtra. Today, In the Public Roads, You will have to show the Inspector that You are capable of Driving a Vehicle Either Bike, Car or Whatever Vehicle You wish to Earn Driving Licence for.
Be Prepared very well with Hand Signals while Starting, allowing other vehicles to pass us while driving (Overtaking in India :D), while Stopping vehicle (Hand Signal + Indicator) etc.
- On the Day of Road Test, Ensure to Reach the RTO Office atleast by 9:00 am where you applied for Driving Licence. The Road Test may happen at any time before 3 pm.
- Pay Rs.300 and get a Challan for the Licence and Another one of Rs. 100 INR for DL Test.
- Go and meet the File Inspector to verify all documents are in place as expected.
- Once done, Register your Finger Prints and Photographs.
- Ask their guidance to find the officer/clerk who will enter your data in the system.
- Move on to the Inspector Room who will again check for all Documents required for the Driving License and Road Test.
- Now its time to sit back and relax for sometime. The RTO Officer may ask you to wait on the test spot infront of the office.
- Test may start at any time after 11:30am, please be calm until your turn comes up.
- For two wheelers, usually they ask you to make a ‘U’ turn on the street, ensure you are scoring it with relevant hand signals.
- There is a possibility that, RTO officer may ask to make a circle, ensure to park the vehicle always on the left hand side before and after the test.
Test Assessment Points / Parameters
- Adjust rear view mirror.
- Take suitable precautions like fastening of seat belts etc before starting engine.
- Move away safely and smoothly straight ahead at an angle while at the same time use of all gears.
- Change quickly to lower gear when the traffic conditions warrant such change.
- Change quickly to lower gears while driving down hill.
- Stop and restart on steep upward incline make proper use of hand brakes and of the foot brakes without rolling back, turn right and left corners correctly using rear view mirror before signaling
- Over take and allow to be overtaken safely with proper caution giving appropriate signals.
- Give appropriate signals by hand or by electrical indicators clearly without mistake.
- Change the lanes using proper signals with care.
- Stop the vehicle in an emergency safely.
- Use of the reverse gear while driving the vehicle backwards with reasonable accuracy.
- Use the forward and reverse gears to change the face of vehicle in opposite direction.
- Take correct and prompt action at signals given by traffic signs ,signals, policemen and other road users.
- Drive cautiously at pedestrians crossings giving preference to persons crossing the road.
- Keep well to the left in normal driving.
- Regulate the speed to suit varying road and traffic conditions.
- Demonstrate control of the vehicle by confident steering and smooth gear changing and braking as and when required.
- Make proper use of rear view mirror before signaling, maneuvering, overtaking , turning to right or stopping.
- Use proper side when driving straight, turning and at road junctions.
- Make proper use of accelerator, clutch, gears, brakes, steering and horn.
- Anticipate the actions of other road users.
- Take precautions at intersections & road junctions to adjust the speed , proper positioning of the vehicle , use rear view mirror & avoidance of cutting right hand corner.
- Concentrate on driving with attention & presence of mind.
- Show courtesy & consideration for other road users keeping in mind the road safety.
Once you are completed successfully, You may Receive the Licence in Smart Card form with in 3-4 weeks.
RTO Offices in Maharashtra
|RTO Locations||RTO Code|
|Wadi, Nagpur (rural)||MH40|
Addition of New Class of Vehicle to a DL
A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle ( Bike ) may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle (Car etc.) at any time. Documents Required are
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Valid Learners’ Licence for the category.
- Application in Form 8.
- Form 1(Self declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Duplicate Driving License in Maharashtra
Are you worried after losing driving license and looking more details on how to apply for a duplicate licence. You are not alone this largest democratic country. There are 1000’s of duplicate driving driving licence applications coming in to RTO office.
We may easily ask for reissue of driving license online or by the traditional method of submitting form.However, the matters are not as complicated as believed because the transport department is also aware about how such incidences can occur.To start with you may keep lost driving licence form download ed. Duplicate driving licence form is known as LLD.
Documents Required for Duplicate Licence
- Intimation of Loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence, or known as LLD.
- If the Licence is stolen, then process for applying duplicate driving license should get in to legal documentation by submitting a First Investigation Report (FIR) from Police station.
- If the Licence is not lost, instead if it got damaged, you are good to submit the Original Driving License.
- It is always recommended to keep xerox/photocopies of the actual driving licence, to make the process easy for the assessing officer in the RTO office, but don’t worry if you don’t have any.
- Depending on the RTO office, you may be asked for age proof and address proof which you have used for applying original driving licence.
Renewal of Driving License
A Driving License has no exception to this rule and when it has passed its validity, you will be required to make an application with The Transport Authority of India for the renewal of the Driving licence.
- Information about whether their driving license has been revoked for any reason must also be provided.
- If the licensee has passed the age of 50, he or she will be required also to furnish a medical certificate in form 1A.
- They are also required to pay the fees of Rs.485 along with their application for the renewal.
Corrections in Driving Licence
Regardless of the reasons for the errors in the personal details of the licensee , it is essential that the same be rectified without delays. The subject of making corrections in a Driving license therefore, become important immediately when the matter is noticed.
Errors Liable for Correction in Driving Licence
- Correction in the Name of the Driving Licence holder.
- Correction in the Last name/Initials of the DL holder.
- Changes in the Address of the Driving license Holder
- Date of birth of Driving Licence Holder
- Blood group of Driving License Holder
The licensee making an application for the corrections to be made in the driving licence must complete the form LLD and form 1 which will provide the transport department with the personal information about the individual.
International Driving Licence Permit in Maharashtra
International driving permits are issued from various zonal offices. The validity of this permit is for one year. You are required to get your licence from the country your visiting within one year period. Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for a International driving permit :-
- Valid driving licence issued.
- attested copy of address proof.
- attested copy of Birth certificate
- Valid passport
- Valid Visa
- Fee of Rs. 200/-
- Two passport size photograph.
Other Side of Maharashtra Driving License
Maharashtra is a large state which is home to a number of industries apart from also being the hub of the movie industry in India, which is producing over 1000 movies every year. Increasing numbers of people after arriving in Maharashtra within the cities of Bombay, Pune and Nagpur. People are arriving in search of a better life and are managing to make ends meet after going through the hustle and the bustle of the cities. Maharashtra also has adequate facilities for public transportation but the increasing number of people arriving with every passing day is perhaps making it impossible for the existing infrastructure to accommodate all arrivals.
This is the situation even after considering the network of taxis and cabs, which are operating within these cities in an attempt to make it convenient for people to move around. The conditions which are presently prevailing on in Maharashtra are not because of lack of infrastructure or inadequate governance.
The major cities within the state our already bursting through the seams despite new infrastructure being introduced by the governing bodies. It is these reasons which have made it necessary for huge numbers of people to consider owning a vehicle for themselves after applying for a driving license which is a mandatory requirement. People are aware that the driving license can also be used as proof of identity because it carries the photograph of the individual along with his or her place of residence along with biometric details.
Applicants for licenses within Maharashtra must understand they are being issued a license by the transport department only after considering they have adequate knowledge about the rules and regulations which are applicable on the roads. A proverb which is often spoken about within the state mentions “a person who can drive in Maharashtra would have no difficulties driving in any part of the globe.”
It simply means that the rush hours within the state will make it essential for every driver to remain alert and keep him of her on their toes at all times because of the heavy traffic passing by. The traffic police within the state belong to a different category because they are perhaps better positioned then their counterparts in other states who may not be required to deal with massive traffic as they do regularly.
Traffic offenders we find it extremely difficult to circumvent the laws simply because the traffic police are on their toes just as the license holders themselves are. Driving on the wrong side of the road and corruption certainly exist within some parts of the state but these are few and far part and driving license holders who are looking forward to circumventing the law will find themselves being rocked by the very people who they contacted for the driving license. Suspensions of driving licenses are not rare within the state because the traffic police is willing to conduct their duties appropriately.
Cities in Maharashtra are reputed never to sleep and people visiting the state can find something available for themselves regardless of the time of the day or the night. Public transportation services will not be available beyond 2 AM in the morning until 5 AM and people who are looking forward to moving around during these times will find it highly beneficial to be classified as license holders within the state.
However, the classification will not be available in a supermarket or a grocery because people must educate themselves about the requirements of a driving license apart from learning the method of driving in a suitable manner at all times. People who manage to do so will be the proud holders of a driving license issued by the transport department of Maharashtra while the others will be languishing behind and remaining concerned, they did not manage to achieve an objective which is an integral part of present-day society within Maharashtra.
Should you have any Questions ? Let us know in Comments..