Neighboring Delhi is the state of Uttar Pradesh, which is one of the most populous states within the union of India. The state also has a reputation of being lawless where everything is available for a price. Every department within the state is hand in glove with various people who are involved in nefarious activities of all types with enthusiastic help being provided by the authorities.
The regulations applicable for the Driving license will not be relaxed, and every individual must follow them as specified. You are advised to prepare well on all matters related to the traffic rules along with the way they are applied by the local police without ever being under the impression that you can take advantage of the unscrupulous nature of the authorities of which plenty of information is easily available.
However, despite the lawlessness along with the nonexistent care for authority, it has been made mandatory by The Regional Transport Office [RTO] Of the Government Of Uttar Pradesh, which has stated that every individual who intends to drive any type of vehicle within the state will only be allowed to do so if he or she has in possession a driving license issued by the appropriate authority.
Types of Vehicle Entitled for a Driving Licence in UP
People who desire to apply for a driving licence have the option of choosing the type of vehicle for which they would require a permit to drive. The Regional Transport Office Of Uttar Pradesh ( UP ) provides licenses for the following types of vehicles which people may desire to use according to their requirements.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of 50 cc or lower than 50 cc.
- Motorcycles which have gears along with an engine capacity in excess of 50 cc or more, Light Motor Vehicles [LMV’s] which also includes cars.
- Motorcycles of all types, including those with gears.
- Motorcycles with an engine capacity of any type but without gears and these can include scooters and mopeds.
- Light motor vehicles for personal use.
- Light motor vehicles for commercial purposes.
- Heavy passenger motor vehicle. These vehicles are provided by a document which is identified as the All India Driving Permit and the document is issued for trucks, buses, cars and is also classified as an open license.
- Heavy goods motor vehicle.
- Individuals who are holding a heavy vehicle driving license are also qualified to apply for a licence to drive heavy trailers.
You will be required to specify before the licensing authority about the type of vehicle you intend to use by describing the purposes of the usage and also to complete the submission of all documents required when you apply for the licence initially. Most importantly you must apply for a learner’s license and have it in your possession for at least a month before you can apply for a permanent driving license.
Eligibility For Driving License in UP Uttar Pradesh
Are you Eligible to obtain Driving licence in UP Uttar Pradesh ? If you are considering the use of a vehicle for commuting to work or even for pursuing your studies, you should primarily make an effort to understand whether you are eligible to obtain a Driving License or not.Tests to determine your levels of expertise of driving a vehicle and your understanding about the rules and regulations will also be conducted. You are required to satisfy every single criterion, which has been specified without which you will not be eligible for the License.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Driving Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by UP Uttar Pradesh MVD, and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Driving License, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the UP Uttar Pradesh MVD, Motor Vehicles Department.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Driving Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
Instructions for Driving Licence in Uttar Pradesh ( UP )
Within India, there is a feeling that you can get things done within the state of UP Uttar Pradesh faster than the other states simply because you will have access to the regional population that is well-versed in managing diverse government departments.
Unfortunately, the departments are colluding with the local population in order to extract some highly needed financial resources from people who are looking forward to making applications for various documents.
Therefore, if you come across agents and touts who claim to represent the traffic department and provide you information that a driving licence will only be available to you if you decide to use their services you should not be surprised. This is one of the methods adopted by many people within the state which is also grappling with a problem of unemployment.
The employees from all government departments are aware of the problems within the state and have developed individual strategies to deal with any problems which they may come across. Trying to use a single method to deal with every hindrance is not suggested because the individual you could be dealing with would have significant experience in the matter and could use his or her imagination to deal with the situation differently.
However, no exceptions will be made when you are applying for a driving licence for commuting on the roads of Uttar Pradesh ( UP ) and even to use commercial vehicles within the state.
Fees for Driving License (DL)
Driving Licence fee to be paid is mentioned below while submitting Documents. You may reach out to a Driving School / Agent to make DL application process easier.
For your reference adding Fee details apart from Smart Card Driving Licence
|Issue of Learner’s Driving Licence||150|
|Permanent Driving Licence in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|International Driving Permit in Form 4A||500|
|Renewal of DL in Form 7 (Smart Card)||200|
|Driving test for each category of vehicle||50|
|Conductor Licence fees||Half of DL fees|
|Endorsement of new class of vehicle in Smart Card||200|
|Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For second copy of Registration / renewal of Driver Training School||2500|
|For appeal against orders of the Licensing Authority||100|
|Trade certificate (Motorcycle)||50|
|Trade certificate (Invalid carriage)||50|
|Renewal of trade certificate (motorcycle / invalid carriage)||50 each|
Learners Driving License in Uttar Pradesh ( UP )
If you are an individual over the age of 18 you will not come across any difficulties in making an application for a Learners driving Licence regardless of the type of vehicle you intend to use by yourselves.
- If you are in the age group of 16 or just above you will need the consent of your parents or your guardian’s before you make an application for the Learners Licence.
- Your word will not be accepted by the Transport Authority of India, and therefore, you will be required to provide proof of age along with validated proof of your residence.
- As an applicant for a Learners Licence, you would be required to be well-versed with the rules and regulations as they have been stipulated by the Transport Authority of India.
- If you are over the age of 18 and are looking forward to applying for a Learners Licence for commercial and transport vehicles you are also required to have finished at least the eighth grade in schooling. It will be beneficial for you to understand that some states within India require applicants within this category to be at least 20 years of age.
2.Fee for learners licence in UP
|Rs.150/-||for one type/category.|
|Rs.210/-||for two type/categories.|
|Rs.240/-||for three type/categories.|
3.Documents Required for Learners Licence in Uttar Pradesh ( UP )
You are required to provide information about yourselves, which will include your name, address, date of birth and place of birth.
a. Acceptable Documents For Personal Identification
- Your birth certificate.
- Your PAN card.
- Your passport.
- Your report card from school showing that you have cleared the 10th grade.
- A transfer certificate from your school which would have your birth date printed on it.
b. Proof Of Address
- Electricity and telephone bills which may have been issued recently.
- LIC bond.
- Aadhaar card.
- Agreement of the house.
- Ration card.
c. Proof Of Age
- Birth certificate.
- Pan card.
- A certificate of transfer from any school which contains the date of birth of the applicant.
- A Mark sheet of the 10th grade to ensure that the applicant has received some education.
4.Restrictions for Learners Driving Licence Holders
Provided that a learner’s licence limited to driving an invalid carriage may be issued to the applicant, if the licensing authority is satisfied that he is fit to drive such a carriage.
- No learner’s licence shall be issued to any applicant unless he passes to the satisfaction of the licensing authority such test as may be prescribed by the Central Government.
- When an application has been duly made to the appropriate licensing authority and the applicant has satisfied such authority of his physical fitness under sub-section (3) and has passed to the satisfaction of the licensing authority the test referred to in sub-section (5), the licensing authority shall, subject to the provisions, issue the applicant a learner’s licence unless the applicant is disqualified under for driving a motor vehicle or is for the time being disqualified for holding or obtaining a licence to drive a motor vehicle:
Provided that a licensing authority may issue a learner’s licence to drive a motor cycle or a light motor vehicle notwithstanding that it is not the appropriate licensing authority, if such authority is satisfied that there is good reason for the applicant’s inability to apply to the appropriate licensing authority.
- Where the Central Government is satisfied that it is necessary or expedient so to do, it may, by rules made in this behalf, exempt generally, either absolutely or subject to such conditions as may be specified in the rules, any class of persons from the provisions of sub-section (3), or sub-section (5), or both.
- Any learner’s licence for driving a motor cycle in force immediately before the commencement of this Act shall, after such commencement, be deemed to be effective for driving a motor cycle with or without gear.
5.Online Application for Learners Driving License in UP
- Navigate to Official website of Sarathi at https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal/sarathi/LLDLForm.jsp
- Select New Learners Licence and Click on Continue.
3. Fill Personal Particulars of the Learners Driving Licence Applicant.
4. Fill Address Details. Please note you should have the Address Proof Documents in Uttar Pradesh UP as listed Below.
5. Select the Class of Vehicles you wish to apply in Uttar Pradesh UP for Learners Driving License.
6. Upload all Necessary Documents and submit. Ensure to take a print out of Acknowledgment Slip.
6.Applied for Learners Driving Licence ? What’s Next ?
After you obtain your learners license one of your first objectives should be the master the type of vehicle mentioned on the license in person. You must understand you will be required to undergo testing when you apply for a permanent license with the type of vehicle for which you would have obtained the learner’s license.
At the same time, you must also be looking forward to understanding the traffic rules which are being applied within the state and make an effort to learn the signs and signals which you would be required to use regularly. The learner’s license is valid over a period to six months, but if you believe that you have mastered driving the vehicle and also have all the information needed about the rules and regulations you can definitely appear in a test for the permanent driving license.
Once You are confident to appear for Learners Driving Licence Test, You can head to RTO office to appear for the Licence Test Exam. Here is what you have to do.
- Visit RTO (best to reach by 9 to 10am) due to crowd and avoid long queue.
- Take challan from ground floor challan counter
- Go to LL inspector room where they check your documents and file.
- After that we have to go camera room where they take photo, eye scan and finger print.
- Then to go data entry room.
- Once we go through all these procedure then time for road sign test. we can choose computer test or oral test.
Computer test has 15 multiple choice questions of traffic rules and signs and you will be provided with 15 min to answer them. You will get to know the score immediately after the test. Once test is finished, RTO inspector will guide you to take eye test.
Oral test is bit easy compared to Computer Test as the officer asks you to explain hand signals, street signs, parking points etc.
Chances of getting failed in learners test is Null. If in case if you fail in Learners test, don’t get disappointed. Re-test is allowed and you may reappear after preparing again.
Permanent Driving Licence In Uttar Pradesh UP
People who desire to apply for a driving license have the option of choosing the type of vehicle for which they would require a permit to drive. The Regional Transport Office Of Uttar Pradesh UP provides licences for the following types of vehicles which people may desire to use according to their requirements.
- Light Motor Vehicles [passenger] including cars, delivery vans, Jeeps, taxis and autorickshaw’s.
- Medium Passenger Vehicles including vehicles like larger commercial vehicles, tempos for passengers and minivans.
- Heavy Passenger Motor Vehicles including buses which can be used for commercial transport.
- Medium Goods Vehicles including delivery trucks and tempos.
You will be required to specify before the licensing authority about the type of vehicle you intend to use by describing the purposes of the usage and also to complete the submission of all documents required when you apply for the license initially. Most importantly you must apply for a learner’s license and have it in your possession for at least a month before you can apply for a permanent driving license.
Step 1: Apply in Parivahan Sarathi Portal here.
Step 2: Fill in Particulars as you did while applying for learners licence, once done, select the Documents list.
Step 3: Since we are applying for Permanent DL, Ensure to select LL first, Enter Learners Licence number, RTO office code ( note it down from your learners licence) and date of issue.
Step 4: Select and add remaining documents details for address proof, Identity proof Etc.
Step 5: Answer couple of questions in the Same tab.
Step 6: Submit Application, get the form and acknowledgement slip printed.
Step 7: Document Checklist – Please note, all Documents should be Original as there would be a physical verification.
- Online Acknowledgement Slip
- Online Application Form
- Learners Licence
- Identity Documents
- Local and Permanent Address proof
- 3-4 Passport Sized Photograph
- RC Book of your vehicle.
- Insurance Copy
- PUC certificate
- ‘L’ Board for the vehicle
- Challan of Rs.300 (I will talk about it in Few minutes)
L Board for the vehicle is mandatory, as we are still holding the Learners Licence. You are not supposed to drive in Public roads without ‘L’ board until you get the driving licence.
b.Offline Procedure for Driving License in UP
Driving Licence Application form must be filled with utter care to ensure there are no errors and no field should be left unattended while applying for Driving License (DL) in Bangalore. If You are planning to apply for converting existing driving license to Smart Card Licence, this form can be used.
- When you are applying for a Driving License, you will be required to complete form 4 regardless of whether your application is pertaining to a single category of vehicle or two categories.
- If you are looking forward to adding another class of vehicles within the Smart Card Driving Licence, you will be needed to complete form 8.
- If your application is for an International Driving Permit, none of the above will be appropriate for your requirements because you will need to complete form 1 A and 4A. (Please note IDP is not issued as Smart Card till the date)
- If you have lost or misplaced your Smart Card Driver’s License ( DL) and need to apply for a duplicate driving Licence you will need to complete the form LLD.
- If for any reason, you are required to renew your Smart Card Driving Licence, the form that needs to be completed is 9, 1 and 1A.
If you have decided to brazen it out with the transport department and apply for your permanent driving license you must remember to submit the following documents.
- Your original learners license.
- An application for the permanent driving license on form 4.
- A driving certificate issued by an approved training school, particularly if you have applied for a license for transport vehicles on form 5.
- Three passport size photographs which are not older than six months.
- Proof of residence in the form of utility bills, lease or rental agreement.
- A valid photo ID issued by the government which can include voter’s ID, passport or your pan card.
When you submit the documents mentioned above to the officer within the regional transport office you can expect a verification of the documents to be conducted after which you will be directed for the driving test. All RTO offices within India do not provide a vehicle for the testing, and therefore, you will be required to make arrangements for the vehicle yourselves.
If you do not already own a vehicle, you can contact the training school where you learned the driving confident in the knowledge that they will be happy to provide a vehicle for the test. However, you may be required to pay some charges for the services provided. After you have completed the competency test conducted by the RTO you will be required to undergo the neo-metric identification tests which will include a retina scan and fingerprinting.
The Day of Driving Test at Uttar Pradesh ( UP )
Excited..! Hell Yeah ? Read Further, We are closing the Target.
This is the Crucial Phase of Driving License Test in Uttar Pradesh UP. Today, In the Public Roads, You will have to show the Inspector that You are capable of Driving a Vehicle Either Bike, Car or Whatever Vehicle You wish to Earn Driving Licence for.
Be Prepared very well with Hand Signals while Starting, allowing other vehicles to pass us while driving (Overtaking in India :D), while Stopping vehicle (Hand Signal + Indicator) etc.
- On the Day of Road Test, Ensure to Reach the RTO Office atleast by 9:00 am where you applied for Driving Licence. The Road Test may happen at any time before 3 pm.
- Pay Rs.300 and get a Challan for the Licence and Another one of Rs. 100 INR for DL Test.
- Go and meet the File Inspector to verify all documents are in place as expected.
- Once done, Register your Finger Prints and Photographs.
- Ask their guidance to find the officer/clerk who will enter your data in the system.
- Move on to the Inspector Room who will again check for all Documents required for the Driving License and Road Test.
- Now its time to sit back and relax for sometime. The RTO Officer may ask you to wait on the test spot infront of the office.
- Test may start at any time after 11:30am, please be calm until your turn comes up.
- For two wheelers, usually they ask you to make a ‘U’ turn on the street, ensure you are scoring it with relevant hand signals.
- There is a possibility that, RTO officer may ask to make a circle, ensure to park the vehicle always on the left hand side before and after the test.
Once you are completed successfully, You may Receive the Licence in Smart Card form with in 3-4 weeks.
RTO Offices in Uttar Pradesh
|RTO Locations||RTO Code|
|Jyotiba Phule Nagar||UP23|
|Sant Kabir Nagar||UP58|
|Chitrakoot Dham, Karwi||UP96|
Addition of New Class of Vehicle to a DL
A person holding a driving licence for Motor Cycle ( Bike ) may similarly apply for addition of a light motor vehicle (Car etc.) at any time. Documents Required are
- Valid Driving Licence.
- Valid Learners’ Licence for the category.
- Application in Form 8.
- Form 1(Self declaration as to the physical fitness for Non- Transport vehicles only).
- Form 1A (Medical Certificate-for Transport Vehicles only).
- Fees as prescribed along with user charges.
Duplicate Driving License in UP
Are you worried after losing driving license and looking more details on how to apply for a duplicate licence. You are not alone this largest democratic country. There are 1000’s of duplicate driving driving licence applications coming in to RTO office.
We may easily ask for reissue of driving license online or by the traditional method of submitting form.However, the matters are not as complicated as believed because the transport department is also aware about how such incidences can occur.To start with you may keep lost driving licence form download ed. Duplicate driving licence form is known as LLD.
Documents Required for Duplicate Licence
- Intimation of Loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence, or known as LLD.
- If the Licence is stolen, then process for applying duplicate driving license should get in to legal documentation by submitting a First Investigation Report (FIR) from Police station.
- If the Licence is not lost, instead if it got damaged, you are good to submit the Original Driving License.
- It is always recommended to keep xerox/photocopies of the actual driving licence, to make the process easy for the assessing officer in the RTO office, but don’t worry if you don’t have any.
- Depending on the RTO office, you may be asked for age proof and address proof which you have used for applying original driving licence.
How to Avail Duplicate Licence online
As mentioned earlier, only few RTOs in Indian states offer facility to apply online for duplicate driving license like Delhi etc, I will update the list as separate article. Still, let’s go through the process.
- You will have to fill Intimation of loss or destruction of driving license and application for duplicate licence online with no mistakes, to ensure the integrity of the application.
- Once the application is submitted, ensure to upload necessary documents online as a measure of how genuine and valid is the applicant.
- Once the application is filled, get a hard copy of the filled online form for duplicate license, attach requested documents as proof and passport site photograph without fail.
- Head to RTO office and submit the application with prescribed fee depending on smartcard/Laminated copy.
- You may receive duplicate driving license in not more than 2-3 weeks to the mentioned delivery address.
Majority of the RTOs operating in many states are in process of implementing system to enable online applications for duplicate driving license, till the time it is implemented we will have to apply for duplicate licence using lld application form with relevant documents.(If any).
- You may reach out to one of the nearby driving schools, who helps you to understand process for applying duplicate licence – They are registered agents with RTO, who can submit application in lieu of you.
- Finding a 3rd party agent is the easiest method. They do even help in filling the forms, so that you just have to sign it.
- Directly head to RTO office, talk to an officer sitting in the help desk/Info section of the office, who prepares a checklist needed for duplicate driving license.
- Ensure all particulars are filled in the lld form for duplicate driving license, attach necessary documents as prescribed by the RTO personnel.
- While paying the fee, RTA officer verifies all documents are in place as expected, Once verified you are good to leave the office.
- You will be provided with an acknowledgement slip, which you have to keep safe. Would be helpful to show while to a traffic police till the time you receive duplicate driving licence.
- You may receive duplicate driving license in not more than 2-3 weeks to the mentioned delivery address.
Fee for Duplicate Driving License in Uttar Pradesh UP
It must be understood that the duplicate driving Licence will not be issued free of cost, and the transport department will be charging Rs.485 for the issuance. The payment can be made in cash, a demand draft or even a challan which will be issued. People can rest assured that they will soon be in possession of the duplicate driving Licence the time of which will be stipulated by The Transport Authority of India.
Renewal of Driving License
A Driving License has no exception to this rule and when it has passed its validity, you will be required to make an application with The Transport Authority of India for the renewal of the Driving licence.
- Information about whether their driving license has been revoked for any reason must also be provided.
- If the licensee has passed the age of 50, he or she will be required also to furnish a medical certificate in form 1A.
- They are also required to pay the fees of Rs.485 along with their application for the renewal.
Should you have any Questions ? Let us know in Comments..
Corrections in Driving Licence
Regardless of the reasons for the errors in the personal details of the licensee , it is essential that the same be rectified without delays. The subject of making corrections in a Driving license therefore, become important immediately when the matter is noticed.
Errors Liable for Correction in Driving Licence
- Correction in the Name of the Driving Licence holder.
- Correction in the Last name/Initials of the DL holder.
- Changes in the Address of the Driving license Holder
- Date of birth of Driving Licence Holder
- Blood group of Driving License Holder
The licensee making an application for the corrections to be made in the driving licence must complete the form LLD and form 1 which will provide the transport department with the personal information about the individual.
International Driving Licence Permit in UP
International driving permits are issued from various zonal offices. The validity of this permit is for one year. You are required to get your licence from the country your visiting within one year period. Following documents are to be produced at the time of applying for a International driving permit :-
- Valid driving licence issued.
- attested copy of address proof.
- attested copy of Birth certificate
- Valid passport
- Valid Visa
- Fee of Rs. 200/-
- Two passport size photograph.
Other Side of Uttar Pradesh Driving License
During the past few years, India has developed significantly especially in the field of technology and on-line services. Applicants for driving licenses within the state of Uttar Pradesh who are not interested in visiting the RTO office numerous times can also apply for the driving license online. They will need to visit the e-services portal of the RTO where they will have an opportunity to download form 4.
The individual will be required to complete the details appropriately on the form and after attaching the documentation requested the application can be uploaded on the portal. Candidates must remember to retain a reference number which will be generated when they submit the form because they will need to produce it when they are contacted by the RTO for the competency test.
Things will be even better if people decide to obtain a printout of the completed registration form because certain RTO offices may surprise candidates by asking for proof about the form submitted.
Candidates who have successfully completed the competency test and are awaiting the arrival of their driving license also have the option of verifying the status of their license either by using the online option or visiting the RTO themselves. The authorized portal of the Uttar Pradesh Zonal Transport Office can provide the online status for candidates who are only required to enter their name, reference number, date of application and receipt number to understand the precise status of their license. On the other hand, people who do not have access to the Internet just need to visit the RTO office where the competency test was held.
Applying for a driving license is not the only task you can accomplish within the RTO offices within this state. You can also apply for a commercial driving license, private vehicle license, make corrections in your existing license if required along with any tasks which you may feel are necessary. The RTO offices within the state are fully functional and are adept at managing any requests, which have been made to them with regard to driving licenses and other requirements of vehicles.
If you are applying for a driving license after being trained by a driving school, you are advised to obtain at least 21 days of training before you submit your application four the permanent license. It is extremely important for you to have a comprehensive insurance policy for the vehicle which you intend to use because in the absence of proper insurance, you could become a victim of the lawlessness which exists within the state and could be subjected to numerous difficulties.
The RTO of Uttar Pradesh has presently issued notifications for the verification of licenses, which were issued earlier. The reasons for the notifications are because a number of dubious licenses have been noticed and the candidates who are holding these licenses are being requested to appear before the RTO in order to prove their skills on the roads. The dubious licenses are a result of the mis-governance within the state which has left around 50% of RTO offices without a proper track to conduct the tests that are required. It is common knowledge that many people have obtained a driving license without appearing in the test, and it is these licenses that are considered as dubious.
The state also has the dubious distinction of having the largest number of accidents and fatalities within the country. Looking at the high number of accidents, which are presently being noted the director Gen. of police has issued stringent guidelines in order to ensure proper implementation of the rules and regulations. Penalties have been specified for violators who could be indulging in wrong or double parking, driving on the wrong side of the road and even using cell phones when driving. Driving without insurance is another offense, which has been added to the list and is therefore, the reason why we have mentioned earlier that you should not be driving without a comprehensive insurance policy for your vehicle.
After reading through this discussion about whether you should even consider getting a driving license from Uttar Pradesh you could begin wondering whether it would be easier for you to visit the neighboring state of Delhi in order to obtain your license. You will certainly have an opportunity to do so, but you are required to remember that the procedure which you will need to follow will be no different. Furthermore, you will also be required to obtain fresh evidence of residence and other documents, which will be required by the RTO of New Delhi. Rather than indulging in such acts you are advised to consider obtaining a driving license from Uttar Pradesh because the task is certainly not impossible.
You will definitely face some challenges, which could make you believe that you will never be able to achieve your objectives. However, you are advised not to overlook the fact that the state has made proper arrangements to issue driving licenses for people who are eligible and are desirous of holding them. Despite the numerous difficulties which have been spoken about earlier, you will not find it difficult to overcome the numerous challenges which will continue to follow you before, during, and after you obtain your driving license.
As long as you are determined to overcome the challenges and also make an attempt to understand how you can obtain your driving licence from Uttar Pradesh from authentic websites you will soon find yourselves holding one of those shining documents in your hand and will be in a position to state that you have obtained your driving license from Uttar Pradesh.